Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello. I gave a man unprotected oral two days ago. It lasted

Hello. I gave a man unprotected oral sex two days ago. It lasted a minute and he didn't cum. In the past I have tasted blood, especially when brushing my teeth, but I didn't taste any on that occasion. I don't think I have any cuts or ulcers in my mouth.
I am really scared that this one stupid mistake has led to me contracting hiv. What do you think the chances are? Some doctors say there is a small risk, others say there is no risk at all (or not that's been proven anyhow). I'm very scared. Having to wait a month to be tested will be hell.
Also, I think there might be a slight tingling on the corner of my mouth. I don't know if I am imagining this though because infection is constantly on my mind. I think my worrying is maybe making me see signs of infection where there aren't any (I hope).
Would the NHS class me as someone who needs testing for hiv? I keep trying to get hold of my local gum clinic but its just an answer machine and they haven't returned my calls.
I am in a serious relationship and don't want to risk passing on hiv to them.
Thank you so much for your advice
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
The risk of getting HIV with oral sex is negligible. The risk would be one in a million or even less.
There is no need for testing if you only have had oral sex.
So there is nothing to worry about.
Relax!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's what I have found speaking to other people. However, the NHS website says that it is possible and I should get checked. I don't understand why they would say this if it were not true.

I'm more worried about infecting my partner than my own health at the moment.

I'm not sure if you are based in the UK, or have experience with their NHS. You're thoughts on this would be really useful, because I am still worrying.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Dr Shahzad was very good, but I'm really scared and need an answer as soon as possible.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I notice that you have relisted the question.

The current guidelines for both the US and the UK do not recommend specific testing after a single encounter of oral sex. The current recommendations are only that there should be regular testing for all persons that are sexually active outside of a truly monogamous relationship. This would usually be done annually, although the exact frequency can be adjusted according to the sexual habits of the individual.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.