Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

4 days ago I start to see a oval(almost the shape of an egg

Customer Question

4 days ago I start to see a oval(almost the shape of an egg on its side) shaped blur in my left eye. It is directly in the center of my eye. If I close my eyes I can still see it. I may have been rubbing my eyes earlier that day but unsure if this was the cause.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
New onset of blurred vision is generally a problem for which someone should be seen quickly, and most people do not tolerate this well. Is there a particular reason that you have not yet been seen?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have an doctors appointment arranged but it is not till Monday.

It is good that you are planning to be seen. In our country, we would typically try to get someone with new onset of blurred vision seen more quickly than another 5 days, but I assume that they have given you the quickest appointment available for this symptom.

There are many different possible causes of new onset of blurred vision and some are potentially more serious, which is why it is better to be seen.

Some of these possible causes are relatively minor, such as allergies affecting the front of the eye. It also can be due to inflammatory disorders affecting the front of the eye or retinal problems in the back of the eye. The retinal problems are the conditions that are potentially more serious, such as a tear or detachment of the retina or vascular problems of the blood vessels that serve the retina.

There are limited options that are available to try to help with this at home. An antihistamine may be helpful, preferably one of the newer antihistamines, such as cetirizine or loratidine. It also may help to apply warm compresses to the eye, which may ease inflammation and be soothing, and would be preferable to rubbing the eye.

Otherwise, it is better that you be seen for a proper evaluation and once a specific diagnosis can be identified, your doctor can also implement specific treatment.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

I notice that this question is still open. My goal is to provide you with excellent service and a complete answer. If there is any further information that would be helpful, please let me know.