Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have and neck shingles. At what point do I cease to

Customer Question

I have facial and neck shingles. At what point do I cease to be a risk to pregnant women and children who have not had chicken pox?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

For how long you have shingles?
Has rash developed crusts or you have associated blisters?
When did the treatment started?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My shingles began 5 days ago.

Mainly crusts, which were presumably vesicles before.

I started Acyclovir 2 days ago

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Well, Shingles is caused by Varicella-zoster virus.
The risk of getting shingles increases as a person gets older. It most commonly occurs in people 50 years old or older.
An episode of shingles usually lasts 2-4 weeks.

A person with shingles can spread the disease when the rash is in the blister-phase. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious. A person is not infectious before blisters appear or if pain persists after the rash is gone (post-herpetic neuralgia).

As you said, that there is appearance of crust at this time, still there could be slim chances.

It is advised, that you should cover it with dressings, thereby it is unlikely that the virus will pass on to others.

However, as a general rule, pregnant women and children who have not had chickenpox should avoid people with shingles.
One should not share, towels, go swimming, or play contact sports with affected person.

In your case, though chances of transmission at this time slim, Still to remain on safe side, one should avoid contact with pregnant women and children, till rash gets disappear.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.