Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

if you have low oestrodiol, night sweats and no what

Customer Question

if you have low oestrodiol, night sweats and no period what could it mean?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is your age?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since how long are you having this?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is the levels of your FSH?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you had any other tests like thyroid test?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

I tried the live chat services but could not connect with you.
I would appreciate it if you could provide me more information on the questions that I have asked above.
Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im 32, my fsh levels have been tested twice, 4.4 and 4.6. Ive had this for 4 months, thyroid ok
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Has your prolactin been done?
What is its level?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No not yet
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Prolactin levels are also important in your case as a high level of prolactin can cause one to have such symptoms and I would also like that you should have an LH level done if that has not already been done.
Additionally an ultrasound of the pelvis to have a look at the ovaries would also be worthwhile.
I would also like to add that unaccustomed physical exertion or strenuous exercise can also cause one to have abnormal estrogen levels leading to the symptoms that you are having.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My lh has been 7.0 and 5.0, is this anything to do with premature ovarian failure or menopause, i dont exercise so
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

What was the level of your oestradiol? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
131pmol/ml then 196pmol/ml
Have you had much stress, strenuous exercise, illness, or significant weight loss lately? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ive had stress, but ive put on weight and not done exercise
The fact that you have low estrogen but normal fsh and lh suggests that you have something called hypothalamic amenorrhea. Normally when estrogen is low, the hypothalamus/pituitary will increase fsh to tell the ovary to make more estrogen. When the estrogen is low, but fsh hasn't increased as it should, that means that the problem is coming from the hypothalamus and pituitary. They're not sending signals the way they should.

Hypothalamic amenorrhea is generally caused by certain things, such as weight loss, excessive exercise, stress, or significant illness. It sounds like the only one which applies to you is stress, so I suspect that's the cause.

There are other tests that should be done, such as prolactin. There is something called a progesterone challenge test, but with your low estrogen levels, it may not be worthwhile. The low fsh means that you do not have an ovarian problem and do not have premature menopause.

I think it would be best to see a reproductive endocrinologist if possible. If no other cause is found, the main treatment may be to work on your stress. If your estrogen remains low for an extended period, you may need some estrogen replacement to protect your bones.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
Thank you for your payment and rating.