Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hi. I spent years eating anything and everything, drank alcohol

Hi. I spent years eating anything and everything, drank alcohol and smoked... until I was admitted to hospital following a subarrachnoid hemorrhage. I quit smoking 3 months ago and started a new healthy eating plan 2 months ago (grain/seeds/pulses/fruits/veg/no dairy/no alcohol). My weight was 100.2kg. I started kickboxing classes 6 weeks ago, and in addition I do cardio/strength/abs exercises daily at home. Despite the huge changes made, I have lost only 3kg in the last 2 months which seems very little for a person of my size. I know that slow loss is more likely to be successful but it still appears to be a small amount all things considered. I'm female and 51 years old. Thank you for any advice. Val.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 2 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello have you consulted a nutritionist or personal trainer or doing this on your own?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Customer:

I'm doing this on my own after reading a lot of material. I have my GP aware.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the way to lose your weight is-

Dr. P. Jyoti :

output must be more than input

Dr. P. Jyoti :

that is the whole secret

Dr. P. Jyoti :

what you spend in exercise must be more than what you eat

Dr. P. Jyoti :

that is, the calories spent in exercise must be more than the calories you eat

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so effort has to be there both ways, both increasing calorie output and decreasing calorie input

Dr. P. Jyoti :

when this difference is large, there is rapid weight loss and when small, slow weight loss

Customer:

Yes I understand this... it still doesn't seem to add up though!

Dr. P. Jyoti :

now the crux is, it is easier to decrease calorie input than increasing calorie output as a whole

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so what this finally means is, that you got to cut down more on your diet and at the same time try to increase your exercise to some extent

Dr. P. Jyoti :

cutting down on food can be dangerous though as it can leave you malnutritioned

Dr. P. Jyoti :

that is why I mentioned about a nutritionist or a trainer

Customer:

I can't do much more exercising than I do already so cutting down on food seems to be the only thing I can do.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

in fact your gym trainer will usually be able to give you good directions

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes thats right, it is not easy to increase calorie output beyond a point

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but of course you must try

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but main thing is to make more changes in your diet

Dr. P. Jyoti :

now do not try to do this on your own

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is best to take professional help for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

consult a nutritionist or your gym trainer should also be able to guide you

Customer:

It's not easy to access professional help in the UK!

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you need a proper diet to follow along with an exercise schedule

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i understand, but it is best to go for such help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i think your gym trainer should be available

Customer:

Ok, I'll speak to my GP and get a referral

Dr. P. Jyoti :

go for a personal trainer for some time at least

Dr. P. Jyoti :

and of course it is best if your GP gives a referral

Dr. P. Jyoti :

diet must be balanced, simply cutting down on food is not the answer

Dr. P. Jyoti :

a nutritionist will be able to give you a low calorie diet suitable for you and personalized for you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

with this you will find it much more easier to attain your weight goals

Dr. P. Jyoti :

besides improving your overall health

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Customer:

Ok, thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do you have any further questions?

Customer:

No thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have a good day then

Customer:

You too.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok bye

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.