911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I have chipped a bone in my foot. Have had an x ray, they told

Customer Question

I have chipped a bone in my foot. Have had an x ray, they told me to take pain killers and rest my foot! I am still in alot of pain and now have a rash on both of my legs
Expert:  911DOC replied 2 years ago.

911DOC :

Is the rash warm to the touch? Are you short of breath? Are you in a cast or splint? Are you using crutches?

911DOC :

standing by

JACUSTOMER-id1z2v2j- :

No the rash isn't warm, I am not short of breath. I am not in a cast or splint. I was not offered crutches but have been lent a walking stick by a friend!

911DOC :

very well. I'm sorry you are having this problem. when you mentioned the rash on both legs I was concerned about the possibility of a skin infection. How can I help you today? It sounds like a reasonable plan though I would like it very much if a doctor or medical provider could look at this rash. even though it is not warm therer is a concern still for infection and a skin infeciton can get out of control in a hurry. also, can you tell me what medicine you are taking for pain, the dose, and how often you are taking it?

911DOC :

standing by

JACUSTOMER-id1z2v2j- :

I am taking paracetamol twice a day. My injury happened 8 days ago but I didn't go to the doctors until yesterday, I just thought it would get better

911DOC :

I understand. Can you give me the paracetamol dose please... the dose you are taking twice a day?

911DOC :

it will likely be 650mg or 100mg....

911DOC :

standing by

JACUSTOMER-id1z2v2j- :

I am taking 2 500mg caplets twice a day

911DOC :

okay, good... you can safely take that dose three times a day.. morning... after lunch, and evening... that should help a bit...

911DOC :

did they tell you not to take ibuprofen (also known as motrin or advil)

911DOC :

?

911DOC :

standing by

JACUSTOMER-id1z2v2j- :

They did tell me I could take both I just thought I would be ok without taking more medication.

911DOC :

okay... so here's what i would do for the pain. i would take the paracetamol three times a day as instructed... it is very safe and the added dose will help. then I would add ibuprofen 400mg lat morning and late afternoon. there is no interaction with these drugs so this too is safe.

911DOC :

as to the rash that is more concerning... was it there when they diagnosed you with the chipped bone?

911DOC :

also,

911DOC :

do you know the name of the bone in the foot that you chipped?

911DOC :

standing by

JACUSTOMER-id1z2v2j- :

No the rash wasn't there when I went to the hospital. I don't know the name of the bone but it's just down from my first and second toe, I have a massive swelling there

911DOC :

ok

911DOC :

stand by

911DOC :

I'm surprised you are not in a splint and crutches....

911DOC :

can you be rechecked today?

911DOC :

standing by

JACUSTOMER-id1z2v2j- :

I didn't want to make a fuss.

911DOC :

i understand that, but this may be something that needs immediate attention, especially if your skin is infected

911DOC :

you would need antibiotics quickly

911DOC :

so it's really not a matter of 'making a fuss', it's a matter of getting the right thing done so you can recover

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

the name of the skin infection i am concerned about is 'cellulitis', and, once again, if you do have that, it CAN be deadly if not caught early and properly treated

911DOC :

not trying to scare you, just trying to emphasize that you are not 'making a fuss' about this.

911DOC :

standing by

JACUSTOMER-id1z2v2j- :

What is cellulitus?

911DOC :

stand by for a good link...

911DOC :

click on that link and take your time reading it... i will be here...

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

have you had a chance to read this yet?

911DOC :

are you there?

911DOC :

I will check back with you when you respond....

911DOC :

ma'am. i did not see you respond. in summary, you can follow the recommendations on medicines above for better pain control, but a doctor needs to see and evaluate this rash today or tomorrow at the latest.

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.