Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My daughter has been under a lot of stress getting a new company

My daughter has been under a lot of stress getting a new company going She has disrupted her children 21 & 17 year olds and her husband Not cooking or washing clothes We cannot persuade her to see her doctor she goes shaky when one is mentioned. Her husband is at his wits end Mrs M Hilton
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Indeed, this is a difficult situation where an adult can not be persuaded to see a doctor. But the question is, does she really need to see a doctor? She does not have an illness that needs to be addressed and this makes it even more difficult.
There is no law or force that can get an adult to seek medical help without having an organic illness.
I suggest that she sees a psychiatrist or a psycologist but this should be conveyed to her in the most unoffensive of ways by someone she trusts like her husband or a friend.
You should ask for a good psychiatrist around your area that can accomodate her on her own convenience or make a door step visit for her. Don't worry about meddling in her life or anything like that, infact, you are concerned and your concern can improve her well being.
Here are a few things you can do:
  • Let your loved one know that you need to have an important conversation with them. This helps to focus their attention and implies they should take it seriously.
  • Pick a good time and place. For instance, avoid talking during family gatherings or when you’re fighting.
  • Approach them with empathy. You might say something like “I know this is really hard for you, but I’m talking to you because I love you. If I didn’t care, we wouldn’t be having this talk.”
  • Be prepared for the person to be upset – and try not to get defensive.
  • Use “I” statements, such as “I’m concerned about you.”
  • Ask for a gift – literally. Ask your loved one to give you the gift of seeking help, whether it’s for your anniversary, a holiday or your kids’ birthdays.
Facilitate the process by finding a professional and scheduling an appointment. Even if they refuse to go, see the practitioner anyway. Talk to them about helping your loved one.
Do not use the words, "crazy" or "abnormal".
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we will do our best to follow your advice Thank you

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
I wish you best of luck.
Please do leave a positive rating.
Best.