Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi there, I saw a Gastroenterologist, he is testing my liver

Customer Question

Hi there, I saw a Gastroenterologist, he is testing my liver function, CRP level, WBC, RBC and I think full blood count, I think I have crohn's disease based on my symptoms - my first question 1. Are they good tests to rule in Crohn's?

(they done a blood test back in October 2013 and I was "slightly" anaemic) they done a colonoscopy in Feb 2013 and it came back clear, based on those findings my consultant thinks I don't have crohn's

my consultant also thinks, because im a vegetarian, that's the reason for my low iron levels

im confused??
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

1)these tests are not good to rule out Crohn's. They can be suggestive of it though

2)a biopsy is the gold standard for crohn's

3)the vegetarian issue could be correct. But crohn's may also cause inflammation that limits absorption of iron
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

These are the symptoms that I have been going through for the last couple of months

Have dull pain every day

Fatigued most day (when I have had a really bad night I feel drained most day, struggling)

Mucus in stools (not much)

Blood in stools (not much)

Food not digesting properly, still see food particles in poo

Not feeling hungry

Stools can be porridge texture, can be grey(only happened twice) and really dark brown - several ocassions my stools can be pure black

Really struggling with nausea, on two ocassions I had eating something and I was sick after a couple of minutes

EVERY time I eat my temperature rises (Slight Fever) - its like my body is attacking the food that im eating

Only on some ocassions probably an hour after I have eating the pain is extremely intense, or may have eating at all, and still get the pain (like someone stabbing me)

Some days I feel like a burning sensation at the back of my throat, like something coming up from my stomach and burning

What do these symptoms suggest to you?, I really don't want to have crohns, its a horrible disease, I just want to take medication for a few months then im back to normal

This does sounds like inflammatory bowel disease

The biopsy might have missed it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX hoping you wouldn't say that Cry if my symptoms shout out IBD, and all the test come back clear......what do I do? My GP has the blood work tests back and im waiting on him to look at them

you might need another camera test

An upper endoscopy to look into the stomach and small intestine

Or a pill endoscopy that you swallow and it takes a bunch of pics of the intestines

crohn's can occur in any part of the GI tract so you still have many feet that hasn't been explored
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suppose it goes without saying, "inflammatory" Bowel disease means part of my GI tract is inflamed so in saying that would my CRP levels show inflammation?

Yes, it can be suggestive of inflammation but not diagnostic

If the CRP is normal, that goes again IBD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suppose this can be a long road to diagnoses then doctor? I don't think I can wait that long, seem to be getting weaker and getting low in mood cause of the symptoms. People don't understand how debilitating it is. I mean its a natural instinct for humans to eat, but with this eating causes pain, and its also natural for human to stop whatever causes us pain, and we cant, cause not eating is incompatible with life??

I'm very sorry Paul

I wish there was something I could do to help. :(
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oh another thing Dr Phil, in July 2013 whilst I was in hospital cause I had a sever temp and high blood pressure/heart rate....they done a CT scan of abdomen and an Ultrasound.....would the IBD show up in those scans?

It might but it not showing up doesn't rule it out
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)