Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hello, I recently went to an STI clinic thinking I had

Hello, I recently went to an STI clinic thinking I had genital herpes, I had a small blister spot on the shaft of my penis, I had recently had unprotected sex with a new partner. The spot was in the healing stage and two weeks old, the doctor examined it and said it was not herpes and that it could be a swet gland, I still have a small white scar spot which is soft after 6 weeks, I'm going out of my mind and dare not carry on with my life and meet a new girlfriend. There are no tests accurate as I have no symptoms? I'm scared if I meet a new partner of passing it to them? What do I do?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

What were the other symptoms associated with that spot?

Dr. Hasan :

Any burning, pain, discharge etc?

Customer: Nothing really I felt a bit run down two weeks after it first appeared but that's all, but that eventually turned into a cold.
Dr. Hasan :

Was it a singe spot?

Dr. Hasan :

single

Dr. Hasan :

spot?

Customer: Yes it was single, it bled a little and was a tiny bit watery. It wasn't painfull at all.
Dr. Hasan :

You developed it before having recent unprotected sex?

Customer: After about 5 days after unless it was there before and I didn't notice.
Dr. Hasan :

Do you think that you got it from that partner?

Customer: Maybe yes it was a stupid mistake.
Dr. Hasan :

Did doctor said anything about getting a culture from that spot?

Customer: No what's a culture?
Dr. Hasan :

It means taking a swab or tissue from the sore or blister and testing it in a lab.

Customer: He said it was dried up there was nothing to swob and that it wasn't herpes? I'm not convinced but I suppose he's the expert, it was an nhs sti clinic too.
Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

First of all i am sorry to hear about your problem.

Dr. Hasan :

I really don't think that you have herpes.

Dr. Hasan :

Let me tell you the course of herpes.

Dr. Hasan :

A blister or more than one blisters can appear during an outbreak.

Dr. Hasan :

These blisters open up and leave an ulcer that is painful.

Dr. Hasan :

That painful ulcer can remain there for 1 to 4 weeks.

Dr. Hasan :

In your case there are two reasons that i am not suspecting herpes.

Dr. Hasan :

First that your symptoms are not consistent with herpes and second that you have seen a doctor at STI clinic.

Dr. Hasan :

Doctors at STI clinic are excellent at identifying herpes lesions and they can't miss it.

Dr. Hasan :

because herpes lesions have a characteristic appearance.

Dr. Hasan :

I personally think that there is a possibility of having a fungal infection and you are confusing it with herpes.

Dr. Hasan :

You should just relax and don't stress yourself because you have got the opinion from STI clinic and your symptoms are also not consistent with herpes.

Customer: Thank you Doctor, that is what my mums been saying. I'm a worrier and have put my life on hold as I don't want to pass it on to anyone else. Shall I put this to bed and carry on with my life? Is there any point of perusing further tests?
Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. Yes you should trust your STI clinic doctor and there is no need for any further test.

Dr. Hasan :

You can carry on your activities.

Customer: Do you get fungal spots from dirt etc? Uncleanliness?
Dr. Hasan :

Yes that is one of the main causes.

Customer: Thank you so much
Dr. Hasan :

Most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please?

Customer: Thanks doc this has taught me a lesson in life, your answers have been great.
Dr. Hasan :

You are welcome. I wish you a happy and healthy and of course a wealthy life :) My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have any further question?