Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

i have problem with focusing on tasks, reading books, watching

i have problem with focusing on tasks, reading books, watching tv etc... I am constantly restless and it seems that i am unable to finish any tasks. It is anything I can do to help my attention as it is affecting my performance at work, college and it is causing disagreements in marriage (as I can't even focus on conversation)?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For a few months...I would say 6-7 months, my work has given me more responsibilities and I had to start college (work requirement) and I am find more and more difficult to focus on reading study books or finishing new tasks given at work. Now it is affecting my relationship with my husband as even sitting at the table in restaurant is too long for me and I am finding myself fidgeting. Can''t last in cinema more that 1h...then my mind just wonders.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Kinga. What herbal tablets have you tried? I assume you haven't seen a doctor about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ginko biloba, and other herbal...not sure what was the mixture but they were for better concentration.

I find it a bit embarrassing that grown up woman can't focus so, no I have not seen my GP about that problem.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand, Kinga but the best course would be to talk to your doctor and get an evaluation by a psychiatrist here. This could be adult attention deficit disorder but it also could be a depression/anxiety combination. It also could be physical as with a hyperactive thyroid or high cortisol levels. For now you could try zinc supplements, omega 3 fatty acids, and saw palmetto along with an elimination of caffeine. You could also try acupuncture and yoga and hypnotism. I mention all that but without a firm diagnosis I really think the best thing to do is to talk to your doctor about this.