DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My partner has a lump under her armpit and one in her groin.

My partner has a lump under her armpit and one in her groin. She has been to the doctors and fastracked for a mammogram. Meanwhile she has had a blood test that has come back clear. Would cancer have shown up in the blood test?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

I am Doctor Thomas, double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine. I will start by asking you a question or by giving you an answer based on your information provided so far. I will be here to follow up with any further questions or concerns you might have.

No
Generally early cancer would not show up in routine blood tests at all.

Only the leukemias and other blood cancers might.

If these nodes are small, it is unlikely this represents cancer in the absence of other findings.

So I would calm down and proceed with the screening.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. what is likely to be if it is not cancer?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
An irritated node for any variety of reasons.
Many people have them with no cause
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you. she thought it had increased in size within a week. The doctor noticed the other in her groin during her examination. The lump is quite big maybe grape size. Would this make a difference to your diagnosis?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The larger it is, the more likely to be infection, autoimmune disease, cancer etc. But isolated lumps in those areas are rarely cancer, in the absence of other findings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
anytime
any qeustions