Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My 77 yr old husband has been diagnosed with a inguinal hernia

My 77 yr old husband has been diagnosed with a inguinal hernia recently and due to other health problems - pacemaker, sleep apnoea (with a PAP), diabetes - and has been checked out this week by an anaesthatist. He is experiencing discomfort at odd times, not every day, but he also for nearly two weeks, has quite a bad cough which is not helping th situation. Would you recommend a support truss to help him, if so, what type would you advise please? We are booked to go on holiday on 15th March to the Canary Islands and I am anxious about this situation and we are in desperate need of a warm break after the stress and recent death of one of my husband's two sisters we care for.

Shebrew
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear about recent death of your husband's sister & the discomfort of your husband due to inguinal hernia.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

Yes,hernia truss is recommended for your husband for additional support & comfort.

A hernia truss is a supportive undergarment designed to keep the protruding tissue in place and relieve discomfort.

It applies pressure directly to the internal spermatic ring which is where indirect inguinal hernias originate. .

A hernia truss can help your husband feel more comfortable — but it isn't a replacement for medical care.

It is not secure enough to withstand heavy physical activity but it may work fine and keep him comfortable for long periods of standing or causal walking & to handle the pressure from coughing.

The best hernia truss is one that is sized correctly or one that can be adjusted for a comfortable fit.There are various type of truss available.One among the best are: flat pad.

Click here for details & online booking:

http://www.groin-hernia.com/hernia-support.html

Again,a hernia truss doesn't treat the underlying problem of an inguinal hernia. Surgery is usually needed to repair a discomforting or painful hernia.

Also he should take the cough medicine as prescribed.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr Robert,

Thank you for your advice and sympathy, it is appreciated.

My husband is on the waiting list for surgery which will be an approximate wait of 18 weeks. We need this holiday to try and overcome the stress and to build him up ready for it.

Thank you once again.

Yours sincerely

Shebrew

Dear customer
I can understand the grief & stress your husband & you are having.

Yes,a holiday break will be the best option for him to overcome this stress.

And surgery is the best cure of inguinal hernia for which he is scheduled for 18 weeks.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Hi JA customer

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Has your husband used the support truss?
Is there anything else that I can help you out?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert