Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

im cicumsised. is there there less chance of me cotracting

Customer Question

im cicumsised. is there there less chance of me cotracting hiv. i am recovering from pneumonia and had unprotected sex once 10 monthes ago
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Yes, there is evidence that circumcision reduces the risk of contracting HIV. There has been a variety of studies that have shown a reduction in such risk, and the current evidence is that there is a 44% reduction in risk for a circumcised male compared to an uncircumcised male.

For either type of male, the risk of a single sexual encounter is lower than what most people think (an average risk of 0.05% to the male from a single encounter of penile-vaginal sex, or a 99.95% chance of not getting HIV). And since it has been 10 months since the encounter, a blood test would be definitive in detecting or ruling out HIV infection. Although the current recommendations do not include specific testing after every sexual encounter, it is recommended to perform testing regularly (usually annually), and if that regular testing is done now, then you will definitely know whether HIV was transmitted from this encounter 10 months ago, rather than discussing relative risk.

If you have any further questions about this or need clarification, please let me know.

I do not see that you have received or reviewed the answer that I provided above. Sometimes, the notification system fails, so I am placing another post to prompt the system to send another notification. My answer is as above. If you have any further questions, please let me know.