Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I seem to be intolerant of statins which cause me severe muscle

Customer Question

I seem to be intolerant of statins which cause me severe muscle pains cramps, dizziness and tiredness, and nausea.

Please advise if ROSUVASTATIN might be best for Cholesterol.

Am taking CLOPIDOGREL bloodthinner and PREGABALIN painkiller
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to side effects of statins.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

Rosuvastatin is an oral drug for lowering blood cholesterol levels. It belongs to a class of drugs called statins.

Both also belong the same group.

As you get the severe side effects due to simvastatin & atorvastatin:muscle pains cramps, dizziness and tiredness, and nausea, it is quite possible that these side effects may also be felt when you take Rosuvastatin as all the three drugs are of the same group.

You need Non-Statin Cholesterol-Lowering Medications as follows:

-Fibrates
-Bile acid sequestrants
-Intestinal absorption blockers
-Niacin.

These agents work in different ways and your doctor may prescribe any one of them or a combination of these drugs accordingly to lower the cholesterol levels.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you may get the same side effect from Rosuvastatin as you suffered from simvastatin & atorvastatin because of the same group of medications & hence I advise you to make an appointment with your doctor to get the prescription for these other group of medications accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

I would like to provide another opinion

non statin drugs are not recommended for lowering cholesterol based on new guidelines

The new guidelines indicate statins or nothing

The statin the least likely to cause cramps is PRAVASTATIN

Try this one

Also, coenzyme Q10 at a dose of 100 mg twice a day has shown to reduce statin muscle cramps

try that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

PRAVASTATIN WAS ALSO PRESCRIBED BY NHS, AND TRIED THIS TOO!

SEEMS THAT NHS PRESCRIBED DRUGS HAVE TO BE CHEAPEST OPTIONS - NOT THE BEST

MY PHARMACIST WHO HAD HEART SURGERY MANY YEARS AGO IS EXPERT WHO FOUND THAT HIS STATIN INTOLERANCE WAS SUCH HE STOPPED TAKING ALL OPTIONS. HE PRACTICES CHOLESTEROL CONTROL BY DIET ONLY.

That is fine too.

You could also try coenzyme Q10

Please don't forget a positive rating for me too