DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I had LASEK surgery almost 4 years ago and my vision is very

Customer Question

I had LASEK surgery almost 4 years ago and my vision is very good. I've recently developed a lot of cobwebs. I've had tests with the optometrist and they say my eyes are very healthy and the cobwebs are common. They did many tests and there was no problem. What is the cause of these cobwebs? Also, is LASEK likely to last forever and can the effects of the surgery diminish if a person looks at a computer screen a lot or plays on video games regularly - does looking at a screen close up a lot of the time re-shape the cornea and cause visual problems in years to come, or is this unrelated to vision problems? Is LASEK likely to be long term and if it's not, can the procedure be performed more than once? Thanks.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
What was the explanation for the cobwebs
Floaters?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They didn't really give me an explanation, but they said my eyes were very healthy after extensive tests. They told me that if I ever see flashes, I should go to the hospital and see an ophthalmologist. They told me that cobwebs can be quite common. Even though my vision is generally excellent, I get dry eye quite often and my vision is often blurred after a long sleep - it takes 10 minutes or so for my vision to clear in the morning. I use artificial tears a lot, which seems to help. I've been told that looking at computer screens for a long time can cause dry eye.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes it can contribute.
I would cut down on the computer time.
This sounds like floaters.

They are quite common.
What they are telling you that floaters with flashing lights can indicate retinal detachment, which you don't have.

Lasik is intended to be long term.

It requires verification by exam, but in the case of distance vision, you can have a "touch up" in some cases with a second procedure.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had LASEK because that is what the surgeon recommended - I had quite a bit of astigmatism. I've heard that LASEK is better than LASIK and I've heard a lot of athletes have LASEK done because of the strong blows they receive. Does looking at screens close up for years re shape the cornea and cause vision to get worse or does it not make any difference?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Same answers.
As to the screens
The data is not clear, however, some studies have indicated increase in dryness, some increase in inflammation, and some even an increase in corneal strain. Vision is not a simple function of the shape of the cornea, but how the lens of the eye interacts with many other factors.
Constant close work can cause less flexibility in the lens and promote lack of distant vision.

In fact Lasek is reputed to cause less dry eye than lasik.

However, neither procedure is going to protect you from too much computer time, which ultimately strains the eye.

Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are there any techniques to keeping vision healthier for longer or do genetic factors contribute? My dad had excellent vision until his late 40s when his distance and close up vision went all at once. He had LASIK 3 years ago and his distance vision is very good but his close up vision isn't great. I've heard that close up vision can't be corrected and naturally reduces around the age of 45. Are there any techniques for keeping vision good for longer?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes but those are individualized and based on exam.
For that you need to see a behavioral optometrist, there are vision exercises that can help.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Anytime
any questions
Please do not forget a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.