Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

i have recently been getting quite alot of itching which tends

Customer Question

i have recently been getting quite alot of itching which tends to come and go about every half an hour to an hour, there is no majer hair loss only 2or 3 at a time i drink abolut 25to35 units per week and i do not feel unwell, my urine is not dark and i dont think i have gad any other bad symptoms
Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
How long have you ad these symptoms?

You mentioned that you drink 25-35 units/week. How long have you been drinking this much alcohol? Were you ever a heavier drinker?

Any medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i used to be a heavier drinker about ten years ago, i have only had these symptoms for about 3 to 4 days and nothing else, my appetite is still very good although i do sometimes get gastrick reflux

Thank you for the additional information

There are a number of things that can cause your symptoms including liver disease (which could be caused by and/or aggravated by alcohol use). Specifically, cholestasis can lead to itching, dark colored urine, yellow discoloration of the skin and/or white portion of the eye. Not all of these symptoms are present in all patients, but I would urge you to see your GP to get an examination.

If you notice abdominal pain and/or yellow discoloration of the skin/eyes or nausea - then you should be seen immediately at the hospital emergency department.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what else could cause these symptoms,you failed to give that answer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could you please let me know what else may cause these symptoms

Other causes include kidney disease, allergic reactions, hyperthryoidism, Hodgkin's disease, parasitic infections.

Unfortunately, there is no way to make a diagnosis over the internet. You need to be examined.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou very muchy for your answer that was very good service, the iching does not happen all over my skin only on my scalp, chest and forearms, and will only re ocur after a 2 to 3 hours

The other thing that I forgot to mention, is of course dry skin. Cold winter weather will contribute to dry skin which can cause itching. Use of a moisterizer after a bath or shower can help treat this potential cause.