DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi, I am recovering from a fall a month ago, which resulted

I am recovering from a fall a month ago, which resulted in stitches to a wound on my forehead. A couple of days after I got a chest/lung infection for which I had antibiotics. I have been left with aching in my lower back and stomach area which is made much worse by any physical activity at all, and which also leaves me exhausted after only 5 minutes light housework.

I am currently seeing a Chiropractor for the pain, who thinks lack of movement whilst being ill has caused a muscle in my hip area to stiffen and this is the cause of the pain, so has "freed" something and is treating this.

I need to find an effective painkiller that doesn't have loads of side effects as my system is still not back to normal yet. (I have been having upset stomach/diarrohea for week or so). I need to return to work soon and will need pain relief. My doctor has prescribed Codipar but I am unsure due to the listed side effects What would you advise please ?

Many thanks,
Lynne
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I understand the situation.
What is your exact question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the most effective pain killer for this pain that doesn't have bad side effects? I need something that won't make me light headed (or constipated due to the back pain experienced).

Also, does the Chiropractor's diagnosis seem likely to be accurate in your opinion in the circumstances?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I think you need a medical exam.
The chiropractic diagnosis does not make sense.
And I would want to rule out a bowel problem.
there are no over the counter pain med choices other than tylenol, motrin and aleve.
Any of these might be OK, but I would not recommend self treatment without an exam at this point.
A stiff hip or hip problem does not cause stomach pain, it causes groin pain typically.

Stomach pain depends on where the pain is...above the navel in the middle, ulcer or gastritis.
upper right, gallbladder
upper left pancrease.
Lower abdomen, bowel, bladder, kidney, ovary.

Right lower, appendix.
Left lower, diverticulosis/itis.

Exam and routine labs can narrow this down.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2 doctors have examined my stomach, my GP and an A&E doctor recently. The A&E doctor said I had pleurisy but just to take ibuprofen, (though my GP has not mentioned pleurisy, just chest infection). I have also had a load of blood tests which came back clear.

The stomach pain is mainly in the lower abdomen when not active,but hurt yesterday in upper middle part after housework.

During the chest infection I was coughing really violently & my whole body was shaking, could this have affected my stomach?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
What type of antibiotic did you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was liquid form, creamy colour, I think it may be Augmentin, sorry cant be sure (container gone); could check pharmacy tomorrow.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
This can disrupt the bowel severely
I think this is what it is.
Talk to your doctor.
Take probiotics daily as this might help the the flora to be more normal.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you saying you think this is the likely cause of both the back and stomach pain? They are both still worsened (simultaneously) by the slightest exertion - how long do you think it may take to go please?

Is continuing with the Chiropractor of any benefit ?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Can't say about the chiropractor.
If three sessions have not helped you, not likely to.
I think they are separate issues, unless you have ulceration in your stomach, which can radiate pain to the back.
Please do not forget a positive rating.