Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, I was diagnosed having a giant liver haemangioma after

Customer Question

Hi, I was diagnosed having a giant liver haemangioma after CT with contrast. I is 10 cm and I am in constant pain, lost 2 pounds in few months, but my waist line is increased. I weel weak and can not live life I had before, excluded any exersises and sex. As it gives me a pain as agony. I am waiting for am appoitment to see a specialist wor weeks now. Can my condition be concidered for an urgent referral to see a liver specialist? I also know that such a big haemangioma can rupture which has high mortality rate. Which blood tests can also help with my diagnosis?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me first about your liver function right now--are all your liver blood tests normal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My GP never get my blood test for liver done... I am on painkillers from August 2013 but only once they made a blood test for ovarian cancer, which was ngative

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Anna. You do need liver function tests like alkaline phosphatase, AST, ALT, bilirubin. You need to see a gastroenterologist and and surgeon right away because it sounds as though you need urgent surgery to excise this hemangioma before it does rupture or further affect you health. I myself would consider this an emergency situation
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advise. But unfortunately My GP doesnt see my condition as an emergency. What should I do in this case? Is it any regulations I can use to make my GP change her mind?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
At the least you need to ask her for you to see a gastroenterologist. Another option is for you to go to the ER for the unremitting pain and from there be referred to the GI and the surgeon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand about ER, but I do not see it as an option. They will refer to GP I think if I am not ellow. My GP made a referral to a local gastroenterologist. But our hospital has not got a liver unit. Also I have to wait weeks to get the appointment. What is the best way to ask my GP to make an emergency refferal to a liver unit in another hospital, where I can get better advice and care?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, tell your doctor that you spoke with me and that I am a general surgeon and a critical care specialist and that I consider this an emergency situation. At least check with the GI referral doctor and explain the situation as I've described it to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Anna but please let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am going to see my GP tomorrow, hope your advice will help me in getting help quicker. Can I have your full name?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Chambers and let me know how it goes