DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

About a week ago I developed a red, sore, itchy and painful

About a week ago I developed a red, sore, itchy and painful penis. I have had a similar problem about 6 months ago and in November 2010,treated back then with antibiotics and Clotrimazole + Hydrocortisone 1% cream which really caused my penis to become angry red in colour,and ultra sensitive to the touch ( I couldn't wear underpants at all or bear any contact at all. Eventually all the skin at the tip down to about halfway down came off and then formed some nasty looking scabs which took weeks to heal.Passing urine was uncomfortable and the urine stream was bent at about a 50 degree angle away from the normal. This returned, over a period of weeks, back to normal. This time, on Thursday evening I went to the Doctor and was prescribed antibiotics( Co-amoxiclav 500/125 mg 3 times daily) and just Clomitrazole( no HC) which I used on Fri and Sat. The redness and inflammation got no worse although the extreme sensitivity did increase. This morning I had tremendous pain in my urethra and penis tip as I tried, and failed, to pass urine. I sat in a bath of lukewarm water for 15 minutes and then tried to go again - eventually it did work, but I cried out with the pain. I have had to experience this another 3 times today. I have stopped the medication that I was prescribed on Thurs eve and also ibuprofen, codeine and diazepam tablets prescribed when I recently fell over and hurt my back. I am continuing to take Ramipril and Amlodipine for high BP and Escitalopram for depression. Your advice would be gratefully received. Regards XXXXX XXXXX (dob 05/11/1951 )

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
This is abnormal.
Go back to the doctor, have a urinalysis, with culture, sensitivity and therefore identify the bug and what antibiotic you need to be on.
The urethra should also be swabbed for testing.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Is there anything that can be done to reduce the excruciating pain in the tip of the penis when I pee in the bath? Also It almost looks like there is a film of something sealing off the opening to the urethra.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Get the correct antibiotic.
And have it examined
Go to the ER if you need to.
this is not home treatment.

Tylenol or advil until you get help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have had my urine tested for glucose and infection - both negative, and a swab around the urethral meatus (but too swollen and painful to go inside it). Will have to wait 3 or 4 days for result. Your suggested pain relief doesn't help - it's like being stabbed with a knife when I pass urine in the bath.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
What is your question?
There are only 3 over the counter pain meds.
Are you asking for home remedies?