Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My dad went in to surgery for his stomach. Doctors say that

Customer Question

My dad went in to surgery for his stomach. Doctors say that they had to operate because his intestine and bowel had problems with blood flow and thus was dangerous.
After surgery he has a dellerium and aggression and fluid build up in his stomach. They took him in again to clean up the fluid, investigate and found he had internal bleeding.
The doctors decided to leave the would open for a period of time and monitor. After 3 days they took him in to close up with a “wash out”
They have now sedated him and have him on the ventilator as the docs want to keep him calm. He is still on a ventilator for 5 days and the docs say he is “stable.” Is there something else wrong that we might not be aware off? They say this is good. They are also sedating him with low doses of morphine and a few anti-biotics.

My dad now has an MRSA infection. Doctors are not saying much and they say they are on top of it. They have him on Meropenem. And 2 others. What do I do?
Is there anything that I can do to help his healing?

They were supposed to get him off the ventilator this weekend but chose not to. I am deeply concerned.

What are the risks if having MRSA, diabetes after a surgery like his?
Is there something that can be done to help his healing
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Customer:

Is there more info required

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Customer:

??

Dr. Shahzad MD :

really sorry about your dad

Customer:

Do you require more information?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

wait a moment please

Customer:

Ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So the main issue now is the MRSA infection, is that right?

Customer:

No he has not been taken off the ventilator, he is still sedated and now has MRSA

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes I understand

Customer:

Since the last op he is being sedated

Customer:

The MRSA is over and above his condition

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes I understand

Dr. Shahzad MD :

How are his vitals and his kidney function at the moment?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any info on that?

Customer:

MRSA and his condition is the issue.

Customer:

Blood Pressure is find. Kidney function test was high around 18 and he is on "Dopemine"

Customer:

The intestine feed is going better from yesterday

Dr. Shahzad MD :

His condition certainly is critical but he is in good hands

Customer:

Oh yes they also mentioned his albumen count on bloods were low yesterday

Dr. Shahzad MD :

They are doing pretty much everything that there is for him.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Albumin count low is something that can happen due to infection.

Customer:

Can he recover from this

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes there is a good chance that he will recover.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The reason why I say that is because all the issues are reversible and treatable.

Customer:

They say they want to ween him off th ventillator first, then drop the sedation slowly because of his age. The MRSA is a concern

Dr. Shahzad MD :

MRSA will be treated with the drugs that he is on.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Meropenem is a very powerful antibiotic.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But it does take time especially in elderly patients.

Customer:

Got to run will be back

Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok sure.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know when you are here.

Customer:

Dr. Shahzad MD :

hi again

Dr. Shahzad MD :

are you there?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

anything else you would like to add or ask?

Customer: They are trying to get him off the ventilator and will be switching to another unit this week. I will come back to you about the detail
Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok sure

Customer: Hi Doc
Customer: My dad was improving and is very responsive. We had a shock during a hospital visit today. My dad got off bed after more than a month in ICU today and it felt like he was progressing. We were visiting him this evening and while he was interacting with us, he vomited almost a mouth full of blood. We are really worried and not sure what this could be. Tried getting the doc into the hospital but he gave the nurses instruction and asked to book for a gastroscope. This is very worrying and we fear the worst in terms of his surgery going bad
Customer: He is also being given blood today and only afterwards we learnt that his stool has been showing signs of blood.
Customer: what can cause this and how do we verify
Customer: Are you there?
Customer: What should I be looking out for?
Customer: Hello
Customer: Doc says his colon is bleeding. Need to go into theatre again!!!!
Customer: He is a month is ICU and we are not getting any joy with his recovery and he is also getting agitated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you respond
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
CAn you answer please
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Bleeding like this can be caused by what is called as stress ulcers.
Stress ulcers commonly happen in patients who are admitted in the ICU.
This should be treated in good hands and this is not something to worry about and should be managed by the doctors.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies.
Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. The docs confirm there is no ulcer? They suspect the small intestine. He is in theatre right now and the doc says this op is very high risk cos he went through 2 surgeries within 30 days. What are his chances
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
I agree its a high risk procedure. Chances are 60:40 in favor of success but that still is a high risk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Doc says his intestines are sticking together. They found an apsis on his small bowel and had to cut off 5 cm. also the 5cm was where the blood was coming out off. We are worried about the huge risks now which docs are not too clear about
Can you help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. My dad now has pneumonia and is still in icu. The only positive. Is that his blood results are looking better and vitals still ok. Blood pressure dropped yesterday though.

He is being treated for pneumonia and the would is still open. This sounds very risky and I would like to know what should I be looking out for considering he had MRSA and now this. Can he pull through this?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Like you mentioned that his labs have improved and we know that he has MRSA. I am pretty confident that with good care he can make it.
Its all something that is treatable and hopefully he should make it.
Again if you ask about his odds of making it through I would give the odds of success at around 60 percent in favor of success.