Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have a clear discharge every morning from eyes and nose,

I have a clear discharge every morning from eyes and nose, it just runs out and I use
a huge amount of tissues until it slows down about the middle of afternoon. Can you
tell me something I can do?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since how long are you having this problem?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any other symptoms or any other medical problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you currently on any other medications for any diagnosed medical conditions?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you recently or in the past had any injury or trauma to the head?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome to the site. Please answer the questions that I have posted above so that I can help you out with your concerns.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please enter text in the text box and use reply button.

Customer:

I do NOT have a reply yet for my fee of £26.00 what's the delay?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Can you see this?

Customer:

NO

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Did you read the questions that I posted above?

Customer:

What questions, none shown

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Customer:

Yes about a year ago I had a backward fall hitting the back of head while exercising,

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since how long have these symptoms been going on?

Customer:

About six months or eight

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been seen or tested for this?

Customer:

No only regular eye exam and saw a consultant who checked tear ducts which were o.k.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I personally think that you should consult an ENT doctor and I would do an MRI of your head. The other test that I would do prior to the MRI would be testing of the discharge to see if it is
CSF (cerebrospinal fluid).

Dr. Shahzad MD :

CSF is a fluid around the brain and in the spinal cord.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

When one has an injury to the head one can have fluid coming out of the nose that is clear just like what you are having.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Once its proven that its a CSF then I would do an MRI.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

yes I am

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions?

Customer:

Can it be treated?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes it can be treated once diagnosed.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The important thing that you need to mention to your doctor is the head injury that you had and also mention that this problem has been going on after the head injury.

Customer:

Would it require surgery and what consultant should I see?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since its not a common problem most doctors will miss it, so you have to ask your doctors to look into CSF rhinorrhea as a potential cause.
Yes it will require surgery if diagnosed.
Neurosurgeons deal with such issues.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions?

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine