Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hello I was just looking for some advice, Ive recently been

Customer Question

Hello I was just looking for some advice, I've recently been told by my doctors that my bilirubin levels are to high in my liver, they sent me for a scan to check for gull stones which im still waiting for the results but the lady who done it said everything looked clear, lost alot of weight Ian 5"8 and only weigh 8 stone , in constant pain on my right side just under my rib, one moment im constipated and the next I can't stop going but when I do have a lot more pains in my stomach and back but the pain on my right side is constant, have two young children and finding it hard to cope with the amount of pain im in, and just feel like im not getting any answers from my doctors and just been given co-codamal please could you offer me some advice, thankyou
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello are there any other positive tests like hepatitis B or hepatitis C?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Customer:

Hello they've not mentioned about heptitis?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

how high is your bilirubin? do you know the value?

Customer:

No they never told me that either just done several blood tests and each time bilirubin have came back to high

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well there can be a number of causes for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the first in your case would be gall stones, which is why they did the ultrasound

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but there can be many other causes as well

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hepatitis, including hepatitis B and C

Dr. P. Jyoti :

liver tumors

Dr. P. Jyoti :

pancreatitis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

blood disorders

Dr. P. Jyoti :

can all lead to high bilirubin

Customer:

The scan lady said there was no gall stones

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you need to ask your doctor a number of important questions

Dr. P. Jyoti :

thats right, i got that

Customer:

Which questions

Dr. P. Jyoti :

since that is ruled out, you have to ask about the other possible causes

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you have to ask about the possible causes

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i will note the most important conditions that you need to discuss with your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

please note them down and discuss

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i see you are typing i will wait for your message

Customer:

Okay, just feels like this has been going on for ages and still not closer to any results and the pain is terrible and its ruining my quailty of life

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i understand

Dr. P. Jyoti :

sorry to hear about this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

a number of conditions are implicated in this and need to be ruled out

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss with your doctors so that you know about their progress

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the things to ask your doctor are:

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hemolysis or increased breakdown in blood cells - this can cause increase in bilirubin

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Glibert's syndrome - a genetic condition which can cause hyperbilirbinemia

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Rotor syndrome - another genetic condition

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hepatitis A,B and C

Dr. P. Jyoti :

biliary stricture

Dr. P. Jyoti :

all these causes can lead to such increased bilirubin

Dr. P. Jyoti :

one possible cause in your case is Gilbert syndrome

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is a benign genetic cause in upto 5% of the population in which the bliribubin is raised

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is relatively benign

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss all these conditions with your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this will lead to a more informed discussion and help you find a solution

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do you have any other questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

Okay thankyou, from the symptoms I've explaned is there anyone that you think could possibly could be?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hepatitis is a possibility, second is Gilbert's syndrome

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so ask about these two

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

Customer:

Ok thankyou so much

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.