Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My wife had ECT treatment recently after 4 treatments there

Customer Question

My wife had ECT treatment recently after 4 treatments there was a change from negativity to being positive about things, however after 6 treatments and a short gap to the next consultation meeting things changed back to feeling and speaking negative. Should a further 6 ects be considered or is there a tablet / treatment that might turn things around because after 3 months + in New Haven Ward at Bromsgrove I need her improvement back so that she can be out of Hospital. Help needed please . Mike XXX

Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

A second dose of ECT would not be suitable so early.

Instead it is best that she be given antidepressant medications.

Antidepressant medications like SSRI will be helpful for her at this stage.

If she has mood instability then Lithium.

Discuss this with her doctors.

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Hello Ian,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Is there any further information that you need? Please do write if you wanted to know something more.

Do write back to me if you have any follow up questions,

Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for further help, Jill feels really down but is able to do things, the ward at New haven want her to continue her time at home and to try gently to get back into meeting family and friends but not to feel under pressure to do so. To do it when she feels O.K.to do so. She cannot think or speak positively about anything at present which holds back her recovery. We are due for a consultation meeting on Tuesday and I will mention your suggestion of SSRI to see whether that would be a benefit. Thanks for your help and suggestion. She is by the way already on Lithium at the level intended.

Ok thats good. I hope for her early recovery.

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.