DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have been diagnosed with moderate erythematous exudate gastritis

I have been diagnosed with moderate erythematous exudate gastritis (no bleeding) with h. pylori. I have had triple eridation therapy last week. I am still getting pains along lower ribs in the front and going to my sides. Is this gastritis serious and is it causing these pains.Are there any painkillers I can take for this condition. I am on omeprazole 20 mg
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
This is simply probably residual
What are you taking right now
please list everything
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Omeprazole 20 mg per day

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
The only over the counter pain killers are tylenol, aleve and motrin.
The last two can irritate the stomach so should not be taken.

Tylenol is OK.
If that is not enough, you would have to get a prescription from your doctor.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what does residual mean in connection with gastritis and is the pain in ribs connected with this and how long can these pains last if due to gastritis

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I mean that even though the infection is cleared up, you can still have gastritis and I would expect up to 6 weeks for the omeprazole to work in this case.

If it does not the medicine should be changed, perhaps to pantaprozole, which has shown better relief in some studies.

Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does that mean the pains in the lower rib will last six weeks as well and is this condition serious

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes.

No this is not generally serious as long as it is treated.
However, if you are not better in six weeks, then further intervention as mentioned is needed.

Please do not forget a positive rating.