Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I understand the physiological process that causes gout - hyperuricemia

I understand the physiological process that causes gout - hyperuricemia leading to needle like uric acid crystals in joints etc. I also understand the role that some foods, such as high purine foods, can have on the condition. My question is why do some people who seem not to be in the high risk demographics get it? My husband has had a few attacks of gout now. He is extremely slim, vegetarian for over 30 years, very physically active and fit, and takes no medications of any type. What is research discovering about susceptibility (such as genes or environmental factors) in non-obvious victims?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

does your husband have any other problems like kdiney problems, etc?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello any associated kidney problems?

Customer:

No he has no medical conditions whatsover, very fit and healthy. No other family members have gout - although his brother has type 1 diabetes (diagnosed when he was a young child).

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

familial disposition to gout is well known

Customer:

But no other family members have gout or had gout.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

recently there has been a lot of study into the genetics of gout inheritance and researches have been able to identify several genetic traits

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes, it is a recessive inheritance

Customer:

OK, could you direct me to some relevant research papers as I would like to learn more about this aspect.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

recessive inheritance means that the parents or ancestors themselves do not show any symptoms but the susceptibility gene is hidden inside them

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes i will give you links to three good papers where you will find the answers in detail

Dr. P. Jyoti :

they are all medical papers though and somewhat technical

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but I am sure you will find them interesting

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i will give you the links to three full papers

Customer:

Thank you. It's ok, I have a biology and a&p background, I can plough through them.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

normally you would find only the abstracts

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok thats good

Dr. P. Jyoti :

because they are technical!

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

here are the links:

Customer:

So other than that, I have him drinking lots of cherry juice, watching high purine food intake, and using ice-packs and rest when he has an attack. He prefers to avoid medication unless absolutely in agony. Anything else I can do?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

http://hmg.oxfordjournals.org/content/18/R2/R177.full

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well you are doing just about the right thing

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but i would advise not holding back on the medicines

Dr. P. Jyoti :

at least he should continue on the uric acid reducers

Dr. P. Jyoti :

continued infiltration of uric acid into the joints will eventually harm the joints

Dr. P. Jyoti :

leaving him in permanent pain and disability

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you should encourage him to take the medicines for lowering uric acid levels

Dr. P. Jyoti :

he will be causing harm to his joints by witholding the medicines

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any other questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

here is the link to another paper:

Dr. P. Jyoti :

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/48/suppl_2/ii2.full

Dr. P. Jyoti :

and here is a third link:

Dr. P. Jyoti :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC297281/

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you can copy paste into your browser

Customer:

Ok, I use a uric acid cleanser medication from the natural health store, I'll tell him to carry on using that, and try to encourage use of anti-inflammatories when absolutely necessary.

Customer:

Thanks for your help.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

copy paste the links into your browser

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but dont forget to give a positive rating before leaving this page!!

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have a good day!

Dr. P. Jyoti :