Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Im nearly 81, having slowed down and got tired and frail these

I'm nearly 81, having slowed down and got tired and frail these past couple of years. I'm a Catholic priest and have reduced my activities. I need to rest a great deal each day. My concern is that I shake a little especially in the hands particularly in the last hour before I get up. I'm told it's not Parkinsons because I can pull back from a handshake. I also dribble profusely. Any advice would be appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to the tremors.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

Hand shaking or tremors can be due to various reasons.

Parkinson's disease is only one cause of hand shakiness/tremors.There are various other causes.Most common of them are:essential tremors,multiple sclerosis, degenerative brain disorder,alcohol withdrawal, thyroid disorders,stroke,brain tumor,fatigue, stress, anxiety,depression,certain neuropathies.

The most probable cause seems to be the essential tremors.

Essential tremor is the most common tremor.The exact cause for essential tremor is unknown.

There aren't any specific tests used to diagnose essential tremor.

You may need following tests:

-Thyroid function test
-MRI scan/CT scan of head
-Muscle strength and tone
-Tendon reflexes & neurological examination

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your neurologist to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment(if required) will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for being really helpful. What of the profus dribbles?