DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

i woke up with a painful right foot..pressure to walk on it

i woke up with a painful right foot..pressure to walk on it was painful....I am a tennis player and thought I could "walk it off"...the pain increased from the bottom of the foot when I walked to swelling and pain on the top of the foot as well...located in the three toes to the inside of the big toe....big toe is not an issue. A day of trying to walk a bit and two hours of elevation and ice has produced not relief but the condition is not worse that earlier in the day. I hobble around now and cannot put much pressure on the ball of my foot. Not pain anywhere else however....those three toes can scrunch but cannot flex up without pain....what to do?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
first an x ray and exam.

This sounds like metatarsalgia, which is inflammation between the bones of the foot.

Elevate it.
Use ibuprofen,
Use heat if ice does not help.

Get an x ray to rule out stress fracture...also exam to see if you need an MRI.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.