Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My 15 year old daughter was hit on the smallest finger yesterday

My 15 year old daughter was hit on the smallest finger yesterday by the ball whilst playing netball. The school nurse bandaged it to the adjoining finger and diagnosed a bruised bone. 24 hours later, the finger is swollen to about 150% of normal size and the finger's movement is somewhat restricted, both for straightening and curling. There is blue and green discoloration. However it does move and there is no major pain. Is this consistent with bruising and what would you recommend for treatment - ice?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I'm assuming no x-ray was taken? Did the ball hit the side of her finger or did it hit front-on on the tip so the finger was stoved in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No x-ray. She says it was not front on, but either (!) pushed up the finger from underneath or pushed it to the side away from the other fingers.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Tony. After 24 hours heat is better than ice. This could just be a bruised bone but I would still get an x-ray to rule out a hairline fracture of one of the bones in her finger.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Would you say (so far) that just bruising is the most likely? And how would you best apply the heat to a finger - dipped in a bowl of hot water?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Probably just bruising which would not be a problem. Take a damp washcloth and microwave it to nice and warm but not too hot and wrap it around the finger. Let me know how she does Tony and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Perfect, thanks