Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a hard small lump in my mouth behind me upper lip, it

I have a hard small lump in my mouth behind me upper lip, it is the same colour as my normal mouth colour and doesn't hurt. I noticed it the day before yesterday when I rolled my tongue onto it, who could this be?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--any possibility of posting a photo on this page?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is not alot to see but i can feel it with my tongue

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK David. Looks like a mucocele which is a totally benign cyst-like structure. These can just appear without any reason and they usually go away in about a week. If it becomes bothersome for you, have your doctor take a look because it can be gently unroofed and drained
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. I'm a little scared that's its something else but that's because I worry about about things like that. Hopefully it will go on its own otherwise I will speak to my doctor. Do they usually only take a week or can they take longer? Is it normal to have a mucocele on the inside of the top lip rather than the bottom?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
They can take up to a month to go away and yes that's a typical location
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No problem--any time. Please remember to rate my service to you