Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Have had Bells Palsy for over two years> Tinnitus has just

Customer Question

Have had Bells Palsy for over two years> Tinnitus has just come in too and my hearing has been buzzing for over 2 weeks and 2 years off and on. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I am an ENT specialist and can help you on this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have you shown an ENT for this? any tests done?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I was trying to chat live with you but this does not seem to be working. I am now switching to the Q&A mode. Please hold on while I type out your answer. Do not rate now though the system may prompt you. I will be back with your answer in a couple of minutes.

Hello Irene,

Tinnitus, or a ringing noise in the ear, is caused due to nerve damage in the ear. This can occur with any conditions, the commonest one is aging. Nerve damage can also occur due to exposure to sudden loud noises, due to certain medicines like streptomycin, due to exposure to toxic chemicals, due to diaetes, etc. Any factor which causes nerve damage in the ear can cause tinnitus.There are various treatments for tinnitus.

You should see an ENT specialist for this.

Audiometry tests are most important for you at this juncture.

There are also many treatment options that your ENT can help you with:

Use of the following drugs: Flunarizine, Niacine, Amitryptilline, Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Acamprosate (Campral). All these drugs have been found to have some effect.

Maskers : Tinnitus maskers are a common mode of treatment.

Retraining therapy: Tinnitus retraining therapy is also a modality of treatment.

Note down these treatments or copy-paste them into Word and take a printout and discuss with your doctor. This will enable an informed discussion and help you to get detailed explanations.

Take care - you need to see an ENT at the earliest and get hearing tests done so that some hearing at least can be salvaged if there is hearing loss. Also ask about these treatments.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, As you have seen this has been on going for more than 2 years and just lately I have had tinnitus in both ears. It is quite painful at night and my mouth and on that side are a pain. How long does it take and what do they do after years with the palsy. The pain wakes me up some times and I did have a two scans in the beginning. Does it sometimes start up again and cause problems.Thank you

Hello Irene,

Pain is something that needs to be further explained.

Usually in Tinnitus there is no pain.

There may be some other pathology.

Temperomandibular joint dysfunction, ie, pain in the jaw joint, can cause such pain in the ears extending to whole of the mouth and face on one side. This is something that needs to be examined.

I would suggest you see an ENT specialist. An ENT specialist can examine you and find the cause of the pain.

Take care.

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.