Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

spotlike lump on scalp

Hello, I have noticed a small lump on my scalp, it feels like a spot but has been there a few weeks. I admit I have been fiddling with it and tried to squeeze it as i thought it was a spot. My husband has taken a photo of it for me which i can attach. It is painful - like a spot. I cannot get an appointment with my GP for 2 weeks! So wanted to see if you think it anything to worry about. I am a natural hypochondriac. Many thanks

head

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Could you clarify what you mean by it feeling like a spot?
Does it feel like there is lump under the skin?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is tender around it and is in the skin rathe than under it i think
If there is no lump under the skin, it is more likely to be an infection of hair follicle or other superficial skin infection. (A lump under the skin that is now getting tender would be more likely to be a skin cyst.)

This is typically not a serious problem, although it may require antibiotics to clear up. It would be OK to use an over the counter topical antibiotic ointment until you can be seen.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was worried about skin cancer, so in your opinion it does not look like this?
It does not look like skin cancer, and skin cancer is typically not painful. It is true that looking at a picture is not as accurate as a personal examination, but by the picture, it does not appear to be cancer.