Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 52 my last was Feb 2013 then started bleeding 14

Customer Question

I am 52 my last period was Feb 2013 then started bleeding 14 Jan 2014 and still bleeding now. Had scan which showed nothing wrong with my womb lining, etc. Sometimes feel nauseous in the morning/during the day. What could be causing the bleeding?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
I assume that your doctor did a pelvic exam prior to the scan of the uterus and no abnormalities were present, such as tenderness, correct?
Was the scan an ultrasound?
Was any further evaluation done (blood tests, etc.)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No haven't had a pelvic exam - the doctor just said there's nothing to worry about! Scan was ultrasound.

No other evaluations done.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

It is possible to develop abnormal bleeding patterns related to the hormonal fluctuation that occur with menopause. However, there are also some medical conditions that should be considered. The primary concern when persistent bleeding is present is whether there is benign overgrowth of the tissue lining the uterus, called endometrial hyperplasia, or a cancer growing in the endometrium. A normal ultrasound is very reassuring that there is less risk of these conditions, but the usual approach in this country is a combination of an ultrasound and some form of sampling of tissue from the lining of the uterus, such as with an endometrial biopsy or hysteroscopy.

It is also possible to develop abnormal bleeding patterns from systemic conditions, such as thyroid dysfunction or liver disease. These are not common causes of bleeding, but are easily checked with appropriate blood tests.

Therefore, if asking what is most likely, it would be from the hormonal fluctuations that occur during menopause, but these other medical conditions would also typically be considered and excluded.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any follow-up questions. If you desire any further information, please let me know. If I have provided complete information, please let me know.