Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have had food getting stuck at the bottom left of my throat/neck

I have had food getting stuck at the bottom left of my throat/neck for several years, but have not been treated as I have refused an endoscopy without a sedative. That is the very short version, and as I am a 45 year old single mother I need to know how long a throat can handle that? I now find my whole throat throbs/spasms after eating, and I 'fall asleep' (it's not proper sleep, as I can listen to the radio) too. I just want to know what the food is doing to my throat, and how long it could handle it for please.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

The symptoms you are having of food getting stuck at the bottom left of my throat/neck since last several years,is most likely due to a condition called as globus sensation.That is persistent or intermittent sensation of feeling of lump or foreign body or something else stuck in throat.

Its most common causes are:gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD),abnormalities of the upper esophageal sphincter,stress,psychological or psychiatric disorders.

GERD(gastric reflux) seems to be the most probable cause of your symptoms & is also the most common cause of such symptoms of somrthing/foodgetting struck in throat.

You need upper endoscopy for confirmation.

Your doctor may prescribe you medications like H-2-receptor blockers,Antacids that neutralize stomach acid,Pro-motility drugs , Medications to reduce acid production, Foam barriers ( that are composed of an antacid and a foaming agent).These are prescription medications.

Taking these for long term(as prescribed) will cure the acid reflux & hence your symptoms of globus sensation.

Also avoid smoking & alcohol consumption.Don't take fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items.

So I advise you to consult your doctor for the prescription of these medications accordingly & you will find great relief in your symptoms.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I told you I can distinguish the shape and texture of different foods through my oesophagus, and yet you gave me the standard 'textbook answer' - I specifically asked you to tell me what it would do to a throat to have food stuck for long periods, and how long it would hold out, and you have not addressed my question AT ALL.

Dear customer
Thank you for replying back.

This condition is medically called as Esophageal dysphagia.It refers to the sensation of food sticking or getting hung up in the base of your throat or in your chest.

Its most common causes are:

-Abnormal spasms of the esophagus muscles

-Disorders of lower esophageal muscle (sphincter) that doesn't relax properly to let food enter your stomach

-Neuromuscular conditions

-Narrowing of your esophagus (stricture)

-GERD

-Esophagitis

-certain brain disorders

Upper endoscopy (EGD) is often done to confirm the cause.Esophageal manometry (measuring the pressure in the esophagus)may be done accordingly.

If not treated or if food is struck for long periods,this can cause complications like:infections,inflammation,choking or pneumonia or other serious respiratory problems.

Medicines that relax the muscles in the esophagus can be prescribed.Esophageal dilation or surgery may be required accordingly.

Hope this helped.

Please do not forget to rate my answer as positive,as this is the only way by which we(experts) get paid for the service.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK thank you - sadly I still don't know any more than what I know already. However, I do appreciate your second answer was a thought-out answer, and is to the best of your knowledge - could you please just answer yes or no to the following two questions:

1) is it possible to investigate my digestive tract whilst I am sedated?

2) if I were to have an X-ray while the food is stuck in my throat, would the food be visible?

Dear customer
Thank you for the words of appreciation.

Answers to your next two questions are as follows:

1)An endoscopy is normally carried out while a person is awake. It is not usually painful, but can be uncomfortable so a local anaesthetic or sedative may be given to help you relax.

You may be given a combination of a sedative (to help you relax), and a narcotic (to prevent discomfort).

So the answer is yes, it possible to investigate your digestive tract when you are sedated & it is quite common.

2)Yes,the stucked food will be visible in the x-ray of thorat.A barium x-ray will be much better.

I have seen that you have not rated my answer yet.Please do not forget to rate my answer as positive,as this is the only way by which we(experts) get paid for the service.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Hi JA customer

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor for endoscopy with sedation?
Is there anything else that I can help you out?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert