How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64375
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

Weight gain after traumatic brain injury

Resolved Question:

Hi. I was in a really bad car accident 22months ago and suffered a tbi. In the last year I have put on 1.5stone and feel like my metabolism had stopped. I have visual disturbances. ..head aches...visual field defects and cramps in muscles I didn't know existed. My gp took blood test but said my thyroid results were fine. Would a damaged pituaritary show up in these blood tests or should I get an appointment with an endocrinologist as second opinion ??
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes it would show up.
But your doctor might have misinterpreted the test.
What is the TSH value exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No idea ...they just said no further action. My symptoms just seemed so relevant to damaged pituitary (my neurologist says damage likely but weight gain too difficult to diagnose ) .....I have as you can imagine a neurologist....Neuro opthemologist and Neuro occupatitional therist agrees it is suspect. But I suppose if my thyroid results are ok it must be in my head ????
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The problem is that your thyroid can be low, and your doctor has missed it.
Labs and most docs think TSH is normal up to 4.5.

But over 2.5 can by hypothyroid.

This is likely even without TBI.

If the pituitary were that severely damaged, then multiple findings would probably show up....

I would see the endocrinologist, but check on the TSH now.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.

DrRussMD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you