Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Get pain in groin area whilst in bed, must then only lay on

Get pain in groin area whilst in bed, must then only lay on right side, that,s where pain is. When i get up bending nearly impossible with pain, walking difficult. Go and sit up on couch it eases then goes in 5 minutes or so then ok rest of day till go to bed again.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

How long have you had it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
a week last Sunday
Groin pain is generally referred from the hip.

So hip arthritis or degenerative joint disease presents commonly with groin pain

I think your hip is bad on that side. I would get xrays from your GP

That is a good start

Anti inflammation drugs like ibuprofen might help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No Not Hip I AM a coalman I carry 50kg sacks around all day , this feels like an organ
Ok. Thank you for that info Richard

In that case, it is likely a hernia. An ultrasound will show it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not ender at all to touch even in excruciating pain i.e if i bend down. No swellings or anything else visible
Thank you Richard.

If there is no bulge in the groin and not tender to the touch then it may not be a hernia.

In that case, it has to be the hip.

There is no other organ in that area.

The only other possibility is a kidney stone or infection of the sperm cord called the epididymus
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Don,t think you can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Don,t think you can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Don,t think you can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Don,t think you can
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I notice that you have relisted the question.
What remaining question do you have?
I'm not sure what you mean by "Don't think you can". Could you clarify?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Don,t think you can
This has been posted again. Could you provide the clarification requested above?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
did you fgget my answer
If you mean an answer that you provided to my request for clarification, I don't see that information.

If you mean an answer to your question, I have not forgotten it, but am waiting for the clarification that I requested.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know it,s not hip and i am not happy with the other prognosis. Why does the pain only occur Laid down on my left side or on my back, then turning to right alleviates it. On getting up from bed pain start,s in earnest , standing or walking is like the pain when kicked in scrotum and bending is unbearable. Yet going and sitting up on couch makes it go away in minutes and does,nt come back untill I go to bed again.
Thank you for the clarification. I will be glad to provide additional information.

The other expert is correct that the most common cause of groin pain would be either a hip problem or a hernia.

It is actually more common that groin pain that is positional in nature would be a musculoskeletal problem, and the exacerbation at night is common for an inflammatory condition. Musculoskeletal inflammation will frequently get worse at night, regardless of location. And geting out of bed will frequently ease symptoms assoiated with that nocturnal exacerbation.

There are some other forms of musculoskeletal pain that can present as groin pain. There are several muscles that insert in the tissue deep to the groin, including muscles from above and below the groin. For example, a "pulled groin" is actually a muscle strain of one of these muscles. It is also possible that there can be an inflammation of the tendons of one of these muscles (tendinitis).

If you feel certain that it is not musculoskeletal, then the other expert is correct that there are only a limited number of organs in the groin, and the tube that carries the sperm is the only organ in the groin, which is why he raised the possiblity of an infection of the tube (an epididymitis). It is possible that problems affecting organs that are low in the abdomen can cause pain that is referred to the groin, such as a kidney infection or kidney stones, but these types of problems are usually not positional in nature.

Ultimately, the best that can be done over the internet is to discuss the most common cause of symptoms and to suggest over the counter options to try to relieve the symptoms. In this case, it would be appropriate to use an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If an anti-inflammatory medicine relieves the symptoms, it does not prove the location of the problem, but there also is no need to pursue further evaluation if the symptom is relieved. If the symptom persists, it would require a proper examination and possibly further evaluation to determine the exact cause of the symptom.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.