Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Extreme fatigue -used to be every 3months then two months now

Customer Question

Extreme fatigue -used to be every 3months then two months now im fighting it every few weeks. When im in an episode these are the symtoms. Complete muscular exhaustion from neck downwards. They burn as if I have run a marathon. Loss of co ordination jelly legs. Loss of words cannot construct sentences- cotton wool head. Dizziness. Glands in neck up as if fighting infection. Dry sticky food ex. Potatoe chicken and bread get stuck just below adams apple and I have to manually stimulate it to go down. I have tried drinking to aid the motion but I nearly choke. I use to have 3 weeks of normal energy and then feel tired and then have an episode of extreme fatigue. I would have bed rest for 24hrs and then would be ok until the next time. Im now experiencing muscle weakness in left arm and tiredness does not go away. Please could you make some suggestions as what it might be please.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
When did you first start having these intermittent symptoms?
Could you provide details of the evaluation that has been done to this point?
Have you checked your blood sugar during a dizzy spell?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

The symptoms that you describe are not specific to any single illness. It would be appropriate to check the blood sugar during a period of dizziness to assess for hypoglycaemia (a problem that is distinct from diabetes). Other primary problems to consider would include hypothyroidism, various autoimmune/inflammatory conditions, or certain neurologic disorders, such as MS.

Ultimately, it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause, and I asked about the previous evaluation to try to help with what would be the next step.