DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have been told I may have secondary hyperparathyroidism.

I have been told I may have secondary hyperparathyroidism. my calcium level in my blood is higher than it should be. I have been put on 3000mg of aciferol to increase my vitamin D which is low. However apparently my blood calcium level is unstable. the hospital consultant has decided not to scan my hyperparathyroid glands. I have read so much conflicting information that I am confused about the whole thing. out of a long list of symptoms I have about 6. (fatigue, bone pain, unable to sleep most nights,acid reflux(small hiatus hernia) high blood pressure(take candesartan daily)generally feeling unwell, which is why I went to my doctor in the first place) my question is should I have a scan to confirm it one way or another.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I can certainly help you with this

What was your initial vitamin D level?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the original level was . 26 in July. and I was started on 2000mg vit D but when I went to Kingston Hosp. in Dec. it was 61.. and this was when it showed a raised calcium level of 2.61. but normal phosphate of 1.1 and vit. D of 61, the calcium then increased to 2.65 phosphate of 1.0 and pth of 5.5. I am not on any calcium supplements, I am on Candesartan for my blood pressure.

hope this helps.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
What is your parathormone level

That's the parathyroid hormone
Most recent
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid I do not know this as it is not mentioned on the letter from the hospital.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is that PTH because that was 5.5

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
Adjustment by replacing vitamin D can take up to a year.
I would check the calcium monthly, and the parathormone.

I suggest you work with an endocrinologist that is up to date on this.
If numbers to not adjust, further investigation is needed.

The current PTH is not high, showing no hyperparathyrodism at all.
So I would simply correct the vitamin D and watch the calcium.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.