Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi, Ive been diagnosed with HL & have spoken to others who

I've been diagnosed with HL & have spoken to others who have been through it. I am confused now as they didn't have a bone marrow biopsy & a piece of bone taken during testing & were treated by a hematologist not an oncologist.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

There are a couple of issues related to this situation.

In most cases of Hodgkin Lymphoma, a bone marrow biopsy is not needed. However, it would depend upon the location and extent of the identified disease. WIth certain location and extent of illness, there is a greater risk of bone marrow involvement and a bone marrow biopsy would be more likely to be done.

Regarding the specialist, the specialty is a Hematologist/Oncologist, and doctors may use either designation. Some of the Hematologist/Oncologists will subspecialize in only Hematology or Oncology, and will only go by that designation. But if there is no subspecialization, either term, Hematologist or Oncologist, can be used to refer to the same specialist.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

I do not see that you have received or reviewed the answer that I provided above. Sometimes, the notification system fails, so I am placing another post to prompt the system to send another notification. My answer is as above. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The system didn't give you all of my question for some reason, it kept telling me I'd already submitted & kept crashing. But yes you answered that part. The most important part of my question was the missing part; the initial node (I felt & prompted my visit to my GP) was in the left clavicle area, the pt scan then showed my chest area is heavily affected. It has been a month since diagnosis. At the initial diagnosis I was told it was definitely HL, get a core biopsy & you will be on chemo within a week. That was over a month ago; I had the core biopsy & more Ultra Sounds & they have said that the chest area is heavily affected. The Oncologist then said Bone Marrow Biopsy (I didn't realise that meant taking part of the bone - about the size of a match stick is how it was described to me) that was all done 2 weeks ago & I had a PET Scan last Wednesday. I dont see the Oncologist again until this coming Thursday. I am really just confused I think as the other ppl who have gone through this were diagnosed with a biopsy, PET & Chemo within a week of diagnosis. Mine just seems to be test after test. I was told by the Oncologist at the very first appt with him (only Ultrasound & core biopsy had been done at that stage) that it was a minimum 2B, I am just really confused & wonder why mine has taken so many more tests & longer to start treatment?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The system crashed twice while I was trying to upload & pay. The Dr got half of my question, he answered that part within 12 hours which is fine. I sent a reply explaining what had happened and haven't had any response.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

this is the proper diagnosis process for workup of a hodgkins lymphoma. with stage IIB HL, you do need a bone marrow biopsy to check if there is lyphoma cancer cells in the bone marrow. if it is, then this changes the stage of the lymphoma to stage IV

this needs to be determined before you start chemotherapy.

your oncologist should have explained the bone marrow biopsy at your first meeting

let me know if you have other questions.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician