Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Ive been having a massages from a sports therapist who says

Customer Question

Ive been having a massages from a sports therapist who says I have lactic acid. My legs in particular are solid in parts and when the therapist massages it really is unbearable - like knives digging in. I mentioned this to be doctor and said he more or less didnt know what lactic acid was and doubted it existed. The lactic acid (if it is) is not only in my legs but really all over in parts. The backs of my legs (left in particular) is very tight and it doesnt seem to be going away. What do you suggest please
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

when you work out, and feel sore the next day, that is lactic acid in your muscles which is causing you to feel sore.

Dr. David :

his sounds more than just lactic acid.

Dr. David :

it sounds like you have excessive scar tissue or fibrosis in your legs

Dr. David :

you should continue with the massage therapy and also stretch on your own to try to stretch the hard and painful areas in your legs.

JACUSTOMER-e0re4qt2- :

Unfortunatley I dont work out that is the problem. I gather it happens with sports people but I dont do any sport there are areas all over my body where when if pressed deep you can feel a solid area in my shoulders and back and arms is there anything else I can do and can I see any expert to see if I can get any moe treatment. I was hopeing my gp would e able to refer me for massages under the nhs as I am paying at moment but he has just dismissed it

Dr. David :

yes, you should see a rheumatologist.

Dr. David :

and get blood testing to check for conditions which can cause excessive scar tissue in the body.

Dr. David :

this could also be an autoimmune condition as well.

JACUSTOMER-e0re4qt2- :

why would I have ecessive scar tissue I thought that would only occur if I had had an operation.

Dr. David :

yes, usually that is the case.

Dr. David :

but there are conditions where you produce excessive scar tissue even without surgery.

Dr. David :

you can read more here

Dr. David :

http://www.skeletalmusclejournal.com/content/1/1/21

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-e0re4qt2- :

and is there any cure and what happens if i dont do anything. I have to admit I ach all over

Dr. David :

you need to see a rheumatologist to get more testing to see what sort of condition this is to see if there are other treatments which can help.

JACUSTOMER-e0re4qt2- :

have you come across this before and could it be blood clots

Dr. David :

most likely it is not blood clots.

Dr. David :

blood clots tend to cause swelling and pain.

JACUSTOMER-e0re4qt2- :

but what would cause this all over the body and my gp is just ignoring it the backs of my legs feel really tight and massages are really very painful like I said like knives going in

Dr. David :

this could be caused by an autoimmune condition

JACUSTOMER-e0re4qt2- :

what kind of blood test would it be for can you plese be more specific as I have had just had lots of blood tests done because I have been having chest, stomach and lower abdomen and back pains

Dr. David :

or an autoimmune inflammatory condition.

Dr. David :

if your body is making antibodies to your own muscles

Dr. David :

to cause excessive scar tissue.

Dr. David :

you need ANA, ESR blood tests.

Dr. David :

c reactive protein.

Dr. David :

and possibly. antibodies to double-stranded DNA (anti-dsDNA) tests,
antibodies to histone tests,
antibodies to phospholipids,
antibodies to Ro/SS-A and La/SS-B,
antibodies to Sm target Sm proteins in the cell nucleus,
antibodies to RNP target ribonucleoproteins

JACUSTOMER-e0re4qt2- :

and if this is so could it be serious as my doctor had dismissed any investigations and is a rheumatologist the best person to be referred to

Dr. David :

yes, the rheumatologist is best to be referred to.

Dr. David :

it may or may not be serious.

Dr. David :

only further testing will be able to tell.

JACUSTOMER-e0re4qt2- :

do you know what causes it please

Dr. David :

it could be many potential causes.

Dr. David :

it could be an autoimmune condition or an inflammatory muscle condition causing excessive scar tissue in the muscles.

JACUSTOMER-e0re4qt2- :

but what would bring this on do you know

Dr. David :

you need more blood testing to know what is causing it.

JACUSTOMER-e0re4qt2- :

and what you have said above you believe is the only way to find out nothing else it could be - sorry to be asking but just want to make sure I cover every route to go down so I can go back to my gp

Dr. David :

yes, more blood testing is the only way to know if you have an autoimmune condition or inflammatory condition causing it.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

JACUSTOMER-e0re4qt2- :

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

positive feedback is the only way we get credit for helping clients here.

Dr. David :

thanks.