Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I kissed someone last night who has an almost healed up cold

Customer Question

I kissed someone last night who has an almost healed up cold sore. His cold sore started about 6 days before we kissed and I could didn't see the blister last night - it was just a bit red in the corner of his lip. My lips didn't actually touch the cold sore but I understand the saliva could still spread.

One last piece of info - I already have herpes simplex on my nose and have bad outbreaks about 3 times per year - I have had this since I was about 10 years old. Does this increase or decrease my chances of getting it on my lips?

My main question - what are my chances of getting cold sores on my lips now?
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

The fact that you have herpes simplex on your nose greatly reduces the chance that you would get a cold sore. Your nasal herpes is most likely due to HSV1, which is also the virus which causes most cold sores. You have antibodies against HSV1, so even if you contacted the virus, it's quite unlikely that you would get a cold sore.

It's still a good idea to avoid kissing someone with a cold sore, but most likely you're immune. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is great news. Thank you!

You're very welcome.
Thank you for your payment and rating.