Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello, I have been having nightmares consistently for 3/4

I have been having nightmares consistently for 3/4 weeks now and it's progressively getting worse. I'm now having up to 4 nightmares a night.

Could you explain what is going on?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what do your nightmares involve and are you sleeping through the night?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They can vary from anything like seeing features of my face change to discovering the death of a loved one and being targeted where people chase me. They are all really strange and have features that are quite warped from the typical things we would usually associate with in day to day life. I'm sleeping at night yes, but I have quite a hectic schedule a lot of the time so I'm always up before 9.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Melanie--are you worried that this indicates something serious?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think it is a sign that something is troubling me necessarily but it's starting to affect my energy levels and productivity. Last week I had to take 4 days off where I was just stuck in bed due to the fact I've been having this broken sleep for so long.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
So these wake you up and you don't get a full night's sleep?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeah like, usually 3/4 times a night and sometimes I wake in panic- depending on the dream itself.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And before this started you had no problems with sleeping?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None at all, I mean. I used to wake up with really bad head aches and stuff but nothing that disrupted it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Melanie. Sometimes stress in life can cause this but it's also possible you're having a problem with sleep apnea. For now you could try valerian or melatonin at night to see if that helps but if it continues you need to see your doctor for perhaps a short course of a sleeping medication and to see if you might need a sleep study