Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi. I wondered if you could help me out. Im 20 weeks pregnant

Hi. I wondered if you could help me out. I'm 20 weeks pregnant and have been very careful with my diet . However , 3 weeks ago I ate some opened bio pasteurized yogurt which may have been spoiled and open for a while. It tasted ok I think but smelt a bit funny afterwards.
A few days later I had one bout of vomiting and diarrhea and nothing since . A couple of days later I started feeling extremely tired and and having hot flashes and a low level fever.

Over the last week my fever has gone but I am extremely fatigued , very weak in my arms and legs and stuffy nose and now chills . I feel awful. I 've had blood counts, stool samples, listeria serology tests ( they can't do a culture because my temperature isn't high enough) and all clear.

Baby is still moving around and I had my 20 week scan on Thursday.

Doctors don't think it's listeriosis based on the test results I've had but I feel absolutely rotten and can't think of what else it could be if it isn't that z I begged them to give me antibiotics as a precautionary measure ; to reduce risk of the baby getting infection to make me feel better but they wouldn't as they don't think the re is a need to.

Any advice ? I'm worried that it is a serious infection and will infect the baby. I will really bad as well and am desperate to feel better.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Can I ask if you've had your thyroid function, cortisol levels checked and have you been screened for mononucleosis?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I havent
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do suffer from anxiety but that wouldn't affect the fever.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Kat--I don't suppose either a spinal tap or a sample of your amniotic fluid was considered since those are the most specific tests for listerosis?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm only anxious because I feel so ill and thought it was
Something serious that would harm the baby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No these were not offered.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. I really don't think this is listeria from what you've told me. This well could be mono and you just have to ride that out but it wouldn't be harmful to the baby. That said, I would not only screen you for that but also check your thyroid function and your cortisol levels since low values on either of those could be causing your symptoms and they can be easily treated and wouldn't not jeopardize your pregnancy
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi;
You've very kindly answered a couple of my questions but wondered if you could answer a couple more. If so I will make sure you get excellent feedback and a bonus .

So the latest ;
I haven't had a fever for a week and a half which is good. The nhs hospitals don't offer serology listeria tests . They haven't offered me a blood culture because my full blood count is completely within normal range so they think there is absolutely no need to . My wbc is completely normal. Would make me feel better if they did, though, but I have to trust their opinion. The chief consultant says that testing for listeria tends to be done by stool sample if the the deem the blood cultures unnecessary.

My weakness is getting better; my arms and legs don't feel like jelly all the time and I can walk further without my legs starting to feel wobbly.

I'm still really stuffy and a bit shivery but my husband has had similar symptoms for a week so might be part of it?

Any advice on what I should do next ? Is there any reason to pursue it from the symptoms I've mentioned ? I still get some night. Sweats but could be due to anxiety. I know that I have an issue with OCD and I'm going to address this separately . If you feel I need to pursue further treatment then I will.

Baby is still moving around and I'm still growing ( have been since I ate the yogurt.)

Any advice so I can put this to bed once and for all would be great because I want to stop worrying and feeling ill and start to enjoy my pregnancy.

Thank you in advance.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand Kat. Let me ask you this--what has your OB said about this and do you also want me to respond to the new question you posted?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My doctor and midwife have said there's nothing to worry about based from the results I have had . Still doesn't explain why I don't feel completely right. I do suffer from psychosymatic pain something tells me there is still a problem.

And yes please, do answer my. question.

thank you

Kat

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
So right now--exactly doesn't feel right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At the moment my symptoms are stuffy nose that I've had for about 10 days, some chills but no fever, fatigue which is decreasing but there all the same and some muscle weakness ( that is also improving gradually.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the questions but what exactly seems to be the problem with your muscles?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My legs feel a bit weak when I walk . Not as much now . Was worse a few days ago. My arms were the same but that has gone .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Feel weak or actually are weak?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Feel weak. I can still do things and lift them etc. managed to have a walk today after a little while. Legs a bit achy afterwards but progress from a few days ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't been sleeping well and been very tired so might contribute?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes it could contribute to that. So it basically sounds like all in all you're getting better and right now don't have any really significant symptoms and still you're worried about Listeria?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had an isolated bought of diarrhea this morning but fine now. It maybe that my ocd is taking over a bit ? If it was listeria no doubt I would have different , and bad symptoms!?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Kat. At this point I do think it's your OCD and nothing wrong with that except for all the worry it's caused you. If I were your doctor I would have absolutely no doubts that the Listeria thing has been put to rest. For now, some of this sounds like a touch of flu perhaps but nothing more. The best thing I could tell you is that, if this were me, I'd have no problem with forgetting about Listeria
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. I had a flu jab 10 weeks ago but there has been quite a few viruses / bugs going around work and my husbands work. My white blood count was normal in my blood test last Monday but I guess its possible to have something low lying that lasts for a little while? Thank you in advance .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Kat--something low lying?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Like a mild virus kind of thing that stays around for a while and doesn't go quickly. ( lingers)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
May even be just a cold. At least I hope I've quelled your concerns here and I'm sure you'll do fine with the rest of your pregnancy. Just keep me in mind if you ever need anything else to be answered
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you very much . I will do my best to relax and enjoy the rest of the pregnancy . I'm getting help for my ocd which I think has got out of hand.

I will have a think if there's anything else I want to know , then I will give you a positive rating .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate that Kat
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great. Another thing I was going to ask you ;

when I had the stool sample done it was the day before my symptoms became more 'cold/ flu like.' However I'd had some symptoms before then but the yogurt had been consumed 2 weeks ago. If there was something in the yoghurt that has made me ill ( bacteria of any type) it would have shown up wouldn't it because it I'd eaten the yogurt 2 weeks earlier, despite the symptoms changing the day after?

Thankyou and hopefully this is the last question!

kat

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes Kat--if there had been any pathologic bacteria in your stool--E coli, salmonella, etc--that would have shown up
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you l will get that checked. Also, id been making myself accept the fact that I don't have listeria but in the night I've woken up with a rumbling stomach that has lead to diarhhea, some pain in some muscles , chills and night sweats as well as a stuffy nose, I've had these symptoms mildly for 10 days although more severe last night ,. Apparently these are all listeriosis symptoms so when i get worse it makes it easy to worry and wonder if I do have it after all.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand but those symptoms can happen without Listeria and I think things would have gotten a lot worse after all this time if that were the problem. Kat--this page is getting long so please consider another rating of my service to you and we can pick up on a fresh page
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician