Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Do you know much about skin cancer?

Customer Question

Do you know much about skin cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sure--what's your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im 26, i have a lot of moles and im worried about skin cancer etc. My mum has been diagnosed with malignant melanoma which has spread. Me and my brothers all have a lot of moles. I know i will get them checked out but at my age, if a mole is found to be malignant or not right and is removed, what are the chances of things spreading? Someone told me before that moles before 30 are less likely to be dangerous. Im also told that malignant melanoma isn't hereditary.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should say im mixed race, white and black. My mum is white. There is no history of skin cancer on my dads side. I have alot of moles that vary in size and ive gained new ones over the years.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. No, melanoma isn't hereditary. The usual suspicious signs in a mole are changes like two different colors--brown and black, irregular margins, growing after being the same size for a long time, and rough texture, but some suspicious moles turn out not to be melanoma when biopsied. The prognosis as to whether it had or will spread to lymph nodes depends on the depth of the mole under the top of the skin on the pathology slide. Most melanomas caught soon are superficial and just excising them is curative. Anyone with a lot of moles should see a dermatologist on a regular, three to six month, basis just to have them all looked at.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I asked my GP to refer me to a dermatologist and they said only to do so if I notice a change in a mole. By rough texture do you mean coarse/hard?? is size an issue? i have few that are very big, none more than the diameter of a pencil eraser....just from experience, what are the chances at my age?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Size itself isn't important and more like a bumpy, cobbled appearance. At your age the chances for melanoma are very small but not zero so you at least need to have your doctor take a look every so often
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

bumpy texture on the mole/cobbled on the mole? hard?? i dont have any that bleed. can i send a pic of one on my neck?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sure--let me see.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im going to upload a few shots of the same mole

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

fyi i have fungal skin rashes that im treating with antifungal cream and its working.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK David. Those look like a totally benign moles--sharp edges, only one color, and smooth appearing
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is very soft and smooth, i will have them checked out though Dr, many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX again rate excellent, why cant doctors here be as good!?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Appreciate your kind words, David, and I just try to do my best. Call on me anytime and let me know how it goes. I don't think you have anything to worry about