Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My teenage daughter has epilepsy, however she continually makes

My teenage daughter has epilepsy, however she continually makes accusations about her mother and I, saying she is scared to be at home, at first she claims we have slapped her and then when questioned she changes her story to us shouting at her and eventually after further questioning admits that we have either just told her off or have refused to give her what she has asked for. She has done this on many occasions and each time social services and occasionally the Police have been involved.
We have explained the ramifications of these accusations yet she does not see that she was or ever has been in the wrong, as far as she is concerned no matter what she does we should not chastise her in any way and it is our job to give her whatever she wants.
She seems incapable of understanding her actions from anyone else's point of view, including her siblings.
She has a twin sister who has no physical or mental issues and this is a great source of resentment, she will use any and every opportunity to 'put down' sister and we can see the effect it has on her sister.
Although she has been classed as having learning disabilities she is very emotionally intelligent and manipulative.
Is this behaviour caused by a specific condition or is this just something that will go un diagnosed and something we will have to live with?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

I'm very sorry about this.

I don't believe this is a mental condition but it could be a personality disorder

Personality disorders are not necessarily debilitating like depression or bipolar are but they can be very serious

She likely has a sociapathic or borderline personality. Hence the manipulation and outburts

These conditions are very difficult if not impossible treat

Therapy is really the only hope

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)