Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My mother is 91 years old, generally healthy. Her blood tests

Customer Question

My mother is 91 years old, generally healthy. Her blood tests are fine, all the hormones are o.k.. All her functions are fine. She is usually in good spirits. Lately (a month or so) she has been suffering from a very peculiar phenomenon: every two or three days she suddenly feels very cold, her whole body is shaking uncontrollably, her teeth are chattering. She gets into bed with her electric blanket on maximum. It usually starts at midday, but tonight it started during her sleep, in her warm bed. She feels very limp, no appetite at all but very thirsty. It lasts about two hours, and then it fades away. Her doctor says it's a virus... I have my doubts, but I have no idea where to start looking. Could you give me some advice? Hanna.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

this is usually a urinary tract infection in the elderly

They have very little ability to sense a urinary tract infection.

UTIs in the elderly often present very strangely. This is where I would look first

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)
I appreciate the excellent rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr. Phil,

I appreciated your help very much, you gave us an important lead. Unfortunately, today we got the outcome of my mother's urine test (the culture) and it was negative. She is still suffering from the same symptoms. Where do we go from here? We hope you can continue with your medical support! Hanna.

what medicine does she take?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only medicine she takes regularly is Famotidine, 40mg, for a few years. When she starts to shiver she just takes a valium or numbon and tries to sleep.

does the valium relieve it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. It just makes her a little drowsy so it's a little easier to handle, but it always lasts the same time, two to three hours. And I want to add that the loss of appetite lasts a day or two after the attack and she has lost already 6 pounds.

has thyroid been tested?

blood counts?

liver/kidney function?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, they have. All the tests are O.K.

this has to be an infection

Did they do blood cultures?

chest xray?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think not. I just heard from her that her doctor sent her to a neurologist... This is a very weird situation! Perhaps she should do again all the tests you mentioned and add a blood culture and chest xray.

I would absolutely

This HAS to be an infection

And infections can linger in many hard to find places.

Lungs, abdomen, heart valves
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your advice. We will start working on it a.s.a.p..

you're welcome

please don't forget a positive rating

I appreciate it

bonuses are much appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand there's no possibility to give another bonus, I first have to pay the whole amount again.. I'm sorry, this is too expensive. I would love to give another bonus! I thought the first amount was for the whole month..

It is per question but dont worry about it. Good luck. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. You are not only an excellent doctor, but also a nice man! :)

Lol. Much appreciated. :)