Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

submandibular pain

Customer Question

I have dull to moderate pain that's sporadic, that runs from the front left side UNDER my jaw towards my gland, the pain start almost in a v shape all on the left side of my throat all internally. This begun happening approx 3-4 weeks ago only on the left side of my throat , above my gland to the front of my jaw and to the back of my throat (although its not actually in my throat hope this makes sense!

i have looked at a diagram and it appears to be in the same place as my submandibular gland/muscle''

Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.
Pain in the throat region without any sore throat, could be a type of Cranial Neuralgia.

Your description fits the description of Vagal Neuralgia. This is a condition when the vagal nerve is compressed, leading to pain in the throat and submandibualar area, which can extend into the jaw or thorax, as in your case.

Treatment is by drugs like Gabapentin and Amytriptiline. If necessary, surgery needs to be done.

You should consult a Neurologist for this. A neurologist will be able to rule out any nerve conditions which may be responsible for your pain.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.