Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

my dating scan has confirmed that i am twelve weeks and 2 days

my dating scan has confirmed that i am twelve weeks and 2 days pregnant does this mean that i conceived twelve weeks and 2 days ago? i cannot pinpoint it from my periods as they are very irregular
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

The typical dating of a pregnancy is from the first day of the last menstrual period. This dates from a time that there was limited understanding of what was happening internally during a pregnancy and has stuck from tradition. There are some doctors that would prefer to date pregnancy from the day of ovulation/conception, which is why you may find confusing information on the internet, but the vast majority of doctors date a pregnancy it from the first day of the last menstrual period. For a women that has regular periods, ovulation happens two weeks after the first day of the last menstrual period and conception shortly thereafter, typically within 12-24 hours.

Therefore, from this dating method, the day of ovulation would have been 10 weeks and 2 days ago and conception that day or the next.

In a woman with irregular periods, this would mean that you may not have had a period 12 weeks and 2 days ago, but the ovulation still would have occurred 10 weeks and 2 days ago.

If you need any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im still confused as i had intercourse with one person on 15th december and another on around the 26th december, my due date is 21st september so when did i probably conceive

When was the ultrasound done? Was it done today?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yesterday

Since an ultrasound on 10/3/2014 showed that you are 12 weeks and 2 days pregnant, that would correlate with a last period date of 14/12/2013. since your periods are irregular, you may not have had a period on that date.

The day of ovulation would have been two weeks later, on 28/12/2013. The day of sex could be within a few days of the day of ovulation, since sperm can easily survive in the female genital tract for several days and up to about 5 days. Therefore, if these are the only two sexual contacts, then the second man would be the father. The sperm from the 15/12/2013 would not be able to survive the length of time until the day of ovulation, whereas the sperm from 26/12/2013 can easily have survived a couple days until the day of ovulation on 28/12/2013.

Therefore, the day of ovulation/conception would have been 28/12/2013, but the day of sex that resulted in the pregnancy would have been the sexual contact on 26/12/2013.