Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi there, I had a nightmare 2 weeks ago and it really disturbed

Hi there,

I had a nightmare 2 weeks ago and it really disturbed me.

I was a pedophile and I hurt my son and other children.

I have been having thoughts of the similar things when I'm around children and my son, it really frightens me because I would never do this. I'm a 27 year old female, its disgusting and it's affecting my day life.

Is there anyway to stop these thoughts? They make me frightened that I am this monster but I would never hurt my son.

I have night terrors that I hurt and kill other children. I really never ever thought about this before the nightmare.

Is there something seriously wrong with me????
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how long have you been having these thoughts besides the recent nightmares?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only since the nightmare, never before the nightmare.

Forgot to mention I was on tramadol when I had the nightmare - came off it straight away...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Noreen. I understand how this has bothered you but it doesn't mean that you are that kind of person or that you've been harboring these thoughts for a long time. Sometimes a nightmare can be so vivid and so real seeming that it can shake someone and stay on one's mind for a while. Quite possibly this was from the tramadol and I do suggest you not take that any more. These thoughts should stop soon but if they don't I'd suggest you see a psychologist for some cognitive behavioral therapy that can get rid of them for good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just thought there was nothing definitive in your reply.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just want to know how to stop them! They aren't going away and I love my son and I just want to be back to myself.

These thoughts are disgusting and make me sick, I can't just wait and around hoping they'll go away!!!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Noreen--here are some more suggestions. First you should talk to you doctor about this. Second, hypnotism therapy and acupuncture--believe it or not--can help rid you of the thoughts. But my strongest suggestion is to get some cognitive behavior therapy from a qualified psychologist. There isn't anything you can do that will just suddenly stop the thoughts.