Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hello. I have a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder

Customer Question

Hello. I have a diagnosis of chronic schizoaffective disorder and autistic spectrum disorder. Last week I started getting much worse, I thought one of my friends was a vampire and if I or he left the room, he would change and attack me. I also thought other people might be in on it too. I was very upset also about the end of the world.
The next day I still had some thoughts of him being a vampire and was worried about trees looking evil and menacing.
The next day I was in tears when I was in town, I felt very unsafe because of other people as I thought they were trying to hurt me. I felt like screaming out loud because of the silent noise going on and on in my head.
Another day I also decided to get a loan out to cover my debts that I had accumulated since 2010 when I went high. Later this day I was terrified a good friend hated me and I wanted to run off and forget about a possible relationship.
Sunday I was supposed to be going on a trip the next day, yesterday, but due to severe anxiety I pulled out as I felt I needed low stimulation and couldn't face a day trip. Later last night I was having a very good time, laughing at anything that triggered a reaction in me, which was just about everything. Decided to go abroad for 3-4 days this Friday and today I am frightened because I don't feel in control of myself or what is going on. My moods switch so fast, from being the life of the party and fearless, to frightened, to thinking I want to be alone and am just a walking disaster.
I would like to know what is going on in my head and any self help or treatment advice please.
I am currently on 25mg aripiprazole, 10mg citalopram and diazepam when required. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you are having these episodes.

Dr. David :

it sounds like your schizoaffective disorder is not being well controlled.

Dr. David :

you might need to talk to your doctor about increasing the dose of aripiprazole up to 30mg a day.

Customer:

Hi. Ok, I have been on olanzapine last year, but because of significant weight gain I was put back on aripiprazole. It is quite exhausting all this stuff.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

you would also benefit from seeing a counselor or psychotherapist once a week to talk about these episodes to get them off of your chest

Dr. David :

so you worry less about them.

Dr. David :

you might need to talk to your doctor about increasing the dose and frequency of your diazepam as well which might help and relax you a bit more.

Dr. David :

how much diazepam are you taking a day?

Customer:

Yes that sounds a good idea, seeing someone weekly like a counsellor. I don't take the diazepam every day but take 5mg tablets once or twice a day when needed.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

when is your next doctor's appointment?

Dr. David :

you can talk to your doctor at next visit about these issues.

Customer:

In middle of April.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

I would try to move that up sooner if possible.

Dr. David :

your doctor can refer you to a counselor who you can speak with.

Dr. David :

and talk about options for increasing your medications.

Dr. David :

good luck to you

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done for now, please consider leaving positive feedback below the chat box.

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below

Dr. David :

you can always reach me as Dr. David if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my webpage if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

and need to reach me again

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Thank you very much for your advice.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician