Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Hi! I have had a spell of severe continuous headache since

Hi! I have had a spell of severe continuous headache since last Monday. It was not too bad yet on Monday but from Tuesday eve until Sunday midday the pain was non stop and very severe. Tablets didn't help.from Sunday it has started getting better even though the pain is there in the background.I am not taking any medication now as I'm afraid of overuse. There has been a nausea associated with the pain, still is on and off. Now it doesn't hurt most of the time as long as I don't lift anything heavy or move too fast, and also get off my feet as the feeling of pressure in my head starts to build. I am 50 years and female and premenopausal. I think I've got every symptom in the book regarding that. The pressure in my head feels the same as the one I get with the hot flushes. I have suffered from migraines and tension headaches all my life but I have never before had pain lasting more than 3 days and I am now at day 9. Im hoping it is a passing virus of some sort, do we have anything like that currently in the UK? There has been no vomiting and no other symptoms that I can recall. I don't smoke or drink alcohol. I am normal weight, got a bit over since start of Premenopause, but never been overweight before. I have low to normal bloodpressure, slightly heightened cholesterols. My diet is fairly healthy was a vegetarian for many years. Since premenopause set in I have started eating some meats again.
My question is if you know what this could be?
Greatful for answer,
Paula
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Customer:

Where is this info? I can't see any?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please wait a moment

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am reading your question thoroughly and will respond.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been seen for this headache?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You mentioned you used some pills for this pain, can you please mention what kind of pills you have used?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer:

How can I make the microscopic window in which you reply bigger, I am unable to see what you reply?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on your phone?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Or laptop?

Customer:

Android nexus7

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Try zooming in.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Never used this site on a phone.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Name the pills you took.

Customer:

This is a really awkward page.. I haven't been to doctors. I am using paracetamol and ibuprofen for tension headaches and aspirins for migraines normally. No kodeins or caffeine's and no horsepills for migraines

Dr. Shahzad MD :

When did your premenopause set in?

Customer:

Your page does not allow for this window to be enlarged. It is a tablet not phone.

Customer:

About 1 1/2 - 2 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on any pills for anything presently?

Customer:

I will be taking menoquil alternative medicine for menopause. Mainly containing black cohosh green tea etc

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been seen for this headache?

Customer:

Again - no. I live near loxford polyclinic and the doctors there have very low ratings. Do not know where to find more competent doctor.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you ever had any tests for your headaches?

Customer:

No. Been to the migraine clinic but didn't get much out of it. I have lived with headaches all my life, they have increased a lot since hormone started changing. What was different this time is the length of time of the pain

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been offered hormone treatment for your premenopause?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

How are your periods?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You still having periods?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Or have they stopped?

Customer:

I am not interested in that as the side effects are quite severe. We have both breast cancer and stroke in the family.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand/

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Plus a history of migraine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Migraine can be worsened by hormone pills.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that other causes of your headache should be ruled out.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Although the worsening of pain does seem most likely to be hormone related.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But having said that I would like that you should have more tests.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

More tests like MRA (magnetic resonance angiography).

Customer:

Are you suggesting that my week long extremely long non stop headache was due to menopause? I've never heard of such a thing, but what do I know..

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This is to rule out any aneurysm in the brain.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes most likely your headache is due to approaching menopause.

Customer:

Last time was Jan and febr . before that maybe 6 months without

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Did you read all my responses above?

Customer:

Ok, so that can cause such a long spell, is there anything else I can do save take hormone?

Customer:

I'm not sure this is very hard to read I only see one line at a time.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Other than pain medications, No not much.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Ok I will post again

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please read:

Customer:

I think I've seen them now. I'm not really worried about that but I understand that is normally done. So suffer through it then. Bad news indeed.thanks for help though.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Tip/bonus is always appreciated.
Good bye :)

Customer:

Thanks. And please let somebody know about your poor website for tablets. Very time consuming with the tiny one liner.